5 | John Stones - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
Half a mistake? Again, when you are a defender, you always clear away to the sides. That's basic stuff, and the main job of a defender and GK is to avoid stupid and amateur mistakes. Clearly Stones is a great footballer, but his focus is not that great.

A mistake from a forward or MC cannot be compared to Stones mistakes. Any MC and forward has to have 5 times the number of mistakes of a defender, and if they don't, they are probably playing too safe.

We drew because of Stones mistake, just like Rodri did a stupid mistake before. Forwards will fail goals, but I don't think anyone fail a super easy goal, but again, defenders must keep the focus and the basics at all times. The best defenders are not the ones with more class, or the best passers, or the ones who make everything seem easy, but the ones who very rarely lose focus and make mistakes.
He did head the ball away.

If KDB or Haaland had taken their chances this “mistake” would have been irrelevant.

Forwards missing chances is the direct equivalent of defenders making mistakes.

Apologies for the poor quality, this is the only footage I could find off a quick search.

So - yeah, could have headed back to Ederson. But he is quite central and Bailey's on Ruben's heels so that option isn't risk free - too strong a header and he's making Ederson save him from an own goal, too weak a header and Bailey charges it down and has a one on one with the keeper in the box (note Ruben is facing away, so would see the ball after Bailey, in which time he could be passed without the opportunity to beat him to the ball).

Can't head it to Ruben or Cancelo for the same reason - Bailey's well positioned to intercept, and Watkins to pick up any second ball if they miscontrol. Walker's behind him and being closed down by Coutinho so that's a no-go too.

So the pass to Rodri - central, but pushing out a good distance away from goal - isn't actually a huge error, I don't think. It should be a safe pass.

Rodri's poor control, and decision to blindly pass back to his left into Villa traffic, instead of turning right and passing either to Cancelo or the midfielder behind him, is probably more of an error than Stones's header.

All in all I think Villa worked the goal well and it's harsh to blame it on Stones when his options were limited, Rodri subsequently lost the ball, and Cancelo probably should have closed Bailey down quicker.

Apologies for the poor quality, this is the only footage I could find off a quick search.

So - yeah, could have headed back to Ederson. But he is quite central and Bailey's on Ruben's heels so that option isn't risk free - too strong a header and he's making Ederson save him from an own goal, too weak a header and Bailey charges it down and has a one on one with the keeper in the box (note Ruben is facing away, so would see the ball after Bailey, in which time he could be passed without the opportunity to beat him to the ball).

Can't head it to Ruben or Cancelo for the same reason - Bailey's well positioned to intercept, and Watkins to pick up any second ball if they miscontrol. Walker's behind him and being closed down by Coutinho so that's a no-go too.

So the pass to Rodri - central, but pushing out a good distance away from goal - isn't actually a huge error, I don't think. It should be a safe pass.

Rodri's poor control, and decision to blindly pass back to his left into Villa traffic, instead of turning right and passing either to Cancelo or the midfielder behind him, is probably more of an error than Stones's header.

All in all I think Villa worked the goal well and it's harsh to blame it on Stones when his options were limited, Rodri subsequently lost the ball, and Cancelo probably should have closed Bailey down quicker.

I think the fact there are only 1 or 2 out of thousands even trying to blame it on Stones tells its own story.

Rodri not only gave the ball away, he hardly bust his gut to stop the cross coming in either. Rodri was crap today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.