5 | John Stones - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
He probably just get fit and if he will go to the World Cup where with there set up he get injured again

Hard to see john stones injured again on England duty and the lad bad luck continues
lucky pep and city had a vision and made the call on signing Manuel Akanji and keeping Ake

He's a nice lad and English, but he isn't guaranteed to start games even when fully fit. Dias was better in 20/21, and Laporte was better in most of the other seasons. Let's hope Stones has a great season after the WC, but personally I doubt Pep prefers him to Dias or Akanji. Dias offers leadership and Akanji is a bit more athletic plus his passes can break the lines like Laporte's, as Pep himself observed. Laporte's untouchable if he regains form, he's too important for our build-up play to get benched.

Stones makes both Dias & Laporte look better when he's alongside one of them. When Stones isn't there they both struggle.

As for Laporte being better than Stones in most seasons that isn't true.

Stones makes both Dias & Laporte look better when he's alongside one of them. When Stones isn't there they both struggle.

As for Laporte being better than Stones in most seasons that isn't true.

Dias and Laporte were doing fine last season when Stones was out. We were top of the league with them starting most games, 8 pts clear off Liverpool. In the first half of the season, when Stones missed many games through injury, we conceded 12 goals (3 of them vs Leicester after we were 4 goals up) after having played Liverpool away, Chelsea away, Spurs away and Arsenal away. In the second half of the season, when Stones started more games (Dias was injured for most of the last 3 months of the season), we conceded 14 goals. It's a myth Dias and Laporte struggle without him, and it's a myth that he makes them better.

Back at the start of 18/19 season, when we looked very solid in defence, I thought Stones might become a PL great. But then he lost form (again) and Kompany had to step up in the 2nd half of the season. Stones was horrific in 19/20, to the extent that Ferna was starting at CB even when Stones was fit. Before 20/21, nobody in his right mind would suggest that Stones was better than Laporte. This take is based on just one season, 20/21. Btw, it would be interesting to see whether we were conceding fewer goals/chances with Stones and Dias than with Dias and Laporte back in 20/21 ( when Laporte was still trying to regain form after his ACL injury from the previous season).

Stones is only 28, he still can get better and become world-class eventually. But he must stay fit for at least 80% of the season. This stop-start thing is ruining his career.

Last edited:
Probably miss the World Cup given the time he take to heal

Feel for him but he should have been more mindful with his extensive injury record; bollocks to all this ‘patriotism’, he needs to manage his career here on in, and that starts with not over extending his game time at the expense of a continued stop and start career, he’ll get floated so it’s crunch time decision wise!

I'd be pretty surprised if he didn't make it back for the world cup. He's got 8 and a bit weeks before the first game and he didn't go down like he'd been shot and need to get carried off, it seemed a fairly minor hamstring injury.

Won't he just. We should not forget how often Kompany was injured and still he was important. We should stop overreacting to Stones' injuries.
@Jazzman in the most platonic way I humbly say I love you!! Thank you.
John Boy like VK is a stalwart and a rock. He even scored a Vinnie goal the other week.

He will return triumphant and I shall rejoice. :-) Again I thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.