5 | John Stones - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's just so good. Did he misplace a pass today? Let me list the things I love the most.

- Always progresses the play without fail. If there's no forward pass on he steps inside effortlessly. Every other defender should be watching the way he does this.

- Always passes the ball where the player wants to receive it. Not always into feet, sometimes letting them run onto it or spinning passes in behind. He does this better than nearly everybody in the team maybe bar Kev.

- Always positions himself well when we're being countered to force people to play around him.

- Never goes to ground and gives stupid free kicks away, I can't remember him conceding a foul this season. His interceptions and tackling are impecccable.

- Always offers an option in the middle, his awareness in creating an angle for us to get out of jail when teams press us high is every bit as good as Rodri.

- Everything he does looks effortless, he glides across the pitch, never panicked on the ball. People compare it to a Rolls Royce, I'd say he's more like a Predator Drone. He looks for ways to hurt teams.

- He's just fuckin' clutch, always there when we need a calming influence or the odd goal.

I feel like I'm watching a clinic every week at the moment but sometimes I wonder if pundits and commentators are even paying attention.

He’s was immense today playing predominantly in midfield. Always presented. Passed well and marked plays on the defensive side too. Absolute class footballer.
As good a dm performance as I’ve seen for years, especially considering his full back duties as well.

The added benefit of him at RB is on set pieces too.

He is better than even Walker in the air, so we get more when we defend or attack set pieces.

I remember the days back I think around 18/19 and 19/20 when pep first started to experiment with stones in midfield and fair to say it wasn't flattering at all. Since then he's come on leaps and bounds in a lot of aspects to the point that now he looks so comfortable in the middle as if he's a seasoned midfielder. Not only that but his defensive awareness and concentration has come along so far now whereas before he would do well and then there would be moments were he would switch off which would cost us. What a player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.