5 | John Stones - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
We’ve been doing it all season so I’m assuming quite a while but maybe Pep has been scared about Stones’ pace to make up any turnover?

But then Walker struggled with that away at Newcastle from memory so if pace isn’t a massive deal in this role then you may as well choose the player most comfortable doing the passing and moving.

And honestly, I doubt there’s another centre back in world football who is as accomplished and suited to this role as Stones is. Phenomenal player and one of the first names on the team sheet.
There were times yesterday when slotting back into defence he just moved back into the CB position and Akanji temporarily pushed out to right back.

That reduces the need for the inverted full back to have lightning pace, because he doesn't have to travel so far in those quick transitions.

This is world class midfield play.

I've been so impressed with him recently.

I remember when he was first tried in midfield, as the main holding player, and I was unimpressed, as it's a different skillset. Rodri is so good at shielding the ball, happy to receive possession under the most intent pressure, and not worry about having to move it on straight away, something that defenders just don't do.

What's so impressive with Stones now, is that he's playing without needing to do that - he's so good at reading the situation, being in the right space, receiving the ball on his back foot, and knowing exactly what he's going to do with it before it reaches him.

It's doesn't just help with controlling the midfield, it really speeds up the way we move the ball, and causes teams so many problems.

watching him and rodri float around in perfect synchronicity was beautiful. We were back to moving the ball with purpose. You could see it forming in the palace game and it went to another level yesterday.
it creates so much space for gundo and kev to do damage. I was in awe.
Yea I hope this is something pep deploys going forward. The more stones is used in that role the more consistent he will become. Looks like moving Cancelo on has allowed us to function as a more dynamic functioning unit in both attack and defence. Pep loves a double pivot and it allows Gundo to play further forward.

No fucking about now boss. He has once again found a balance to accommodate Haaland and allow other players such as Gundo to play in a more natural position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.