5 | John Stones - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember the days back I think around 18/19 and 19/20 when pep first started to experiment with stones in midfield and fair to say it wasn't flattering at all. Since then he's come on leaps and bounds in a lot of aspects to the point that now he looks so comfortable in the middle as if he's a seasoned midfielder. Not only that but his defensive awareness and concentration has come along so far now whereas before he would do well and then there would be moments were he would switch off which would cost us. What a player.
It's asking a lot for a defender who usually has the benefit of seeing the whole game in front of them to suddenly be put in the most congested area of the pitch where you have to be aware of everything that's happening around you.

I think the game you're referring to was the 3-2 loss at home to Palace in 2018/19 when we tried him there and it was a bit of a disaster. In his defence he was new to the role and was playing as a lone defensive midfielder because Fernandinho was out. Now we're using him alongside Rodri which makes things easier but I agree that he has improved a lot in that position.

It shows how important it is to have adaptable players in the squad and how lucky we are to have a manager who can solve problems by making these sorts of tactical adjustments.

I gotta say I thought he wasn't great in the first half
I think that was more to do with everyone being slightly less effective the first half, which added strains. Really I can only think of two misplaced headers that put us under pressure, but even then it is hard to criticise him because clearing headers are subject to so much chaos.

Second half, he was absolutely dominant, and helped others to feel more confident, as well.

Of course, the goal putting us ahead inside 60 seconds of kickoff also helped! But he played a part in that, as well, as I believe he part of breaking up Liverpool’s kickoff routine (which almost never works).

I’d love to know how long Pep has worked with Stones on this new role Before actually using him in it in a match.

Doing it in competitive fixtures is what will really help Stones progress and it will be fascinating to see just how good Stones can become stepping into midfield from right back.

His abilty to understand space and use it, is what it makes him world class player and that is why he is good in different positions.Not many defenders poses that abilty.
The way he plays is like art you can enjoy watching him play. If you don't enjoy than something is wrong with you.

I’d love to know how long Pep has worked with Stones on this new role Before actually using him in it in a match.

Doing it in competitive fixtures is what will really help Stones progress and it will be fascinating to see just how good Stones can become stepping into midfield from right back.

We’ve been doing it all season so I’m assuming quite a while but maybe Pep has been scared about Stones’ pace to make up any turnover?

But then Walker struggled with that away at Newcastle from memory so if pace isn’t a massive deal in this role then you may as well choose the player most comfortable doing the passing and moving.

And honestly, I doubt there’s another centre back in world football who is as accomplished and suited to this role as Stones is. Phenomenal player and one of the first names on the team sheet.

Despite the 2 dodgy first half headers he was imperious in the second half. A Guardiola tactical master stroke executed brilliantly by the Barnsley Beckenbauer
What a player he is!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.