5 | John Stones - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks absolutely born to this role. In no time flat I am struggling to imagine him not playing there.

Playing that role better than Lewis did! Can’t see our back four changing from that now..

I think @twosips said this first but one of the best things about Stones in this role is that he's obviously learned from how Rico Lewis played it.

We did try Stones there a few times before and he was alright but nothing special. Rico came in and brought with him this 1 touch football and really positive outlook where most of the time he gets the ball his first touch is a forward pass and then he immediately moves to receive it again. A bit of a throwback to early Pep back in Barca.

Stones must have seen that because since he's come back into the role, he's brought so much more of that to his game. Very little time spent on the ball or taking touches like he does at CB looking for an opening. Get the ball, pass the ball, run.

He's 29 in May, so we should have another 2 to 3 years of prime Stones ahead of us (injuries permitting).

He's 29 in May, so we should have another 2 to 3 years of prime Stones ahead of us (injuries permitting).

Agreed. Plus, I think we all (supporters and back room staff) now accept he will be injured 25-40% of games a season... But he's so worth it for when he is fit. No dissimilar to Kompany's injury situation.

Playing that role better than Lewis did! Can’t see our back four changing from that now..

I think playing Bayern and Madrid, we might see kyle walker there with Stones ce real.

Both Madrid and Bayern will play high and wide wingers.

He was very good in that role on Saturday. Pep got it spot on. Liverpool didn't know when to press, how to press or where to press and Stones was so comfortable passing and moving, even making runs into attacking areas to give space for others. Kalvin Phillips better have been watching!

Grealish saved him from that awful header that got Salah away at 1-0 though. But we'll let him off because he's Sir John.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.