5 | John Stones - 2024/25

Had an interesting debate today about Stones.

When talking of all time Premier League XI central defenders, I would imagine on average he would be around 7th/8th choice in nominations, if that,

The usual elite ones would be Terry, Ferdinand, Vidic, Campbell and then the next ones mentioned would be Stam, Van Dijk, Kompany, even Carvalho but never Stones.

When you compare his career to what the majority would consider the top two, Terry and Ferdinand it is baffling how he isn’t mentioned even near this list.

LEAGUE TITLES
Stones - 6
Ferdinand - 6
Terry - 5

DOMESTIC CUPS
Terry - 8
Stones - 4
Ferdinand - 2

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE
All 1

ENGLAND CAPS
Ferdinand - 81
Stones - 79
Terry - 78

ENGLAND SUCCESS
Stones - 2 x Euro finals
Ferdinand and Terry - QF’s

TREBLE WINNER
Stones - 1
Ferdinand and Terry - 0

DOMESTIC TREBLE
Stones - 1
Ferdinand and Terry - 0

Is it simply his injury record that doesn’t give him the plaudits or is it just he hasn’t got the PR like the other two?

There is a high chances Stones could surpass both in all success on paper but I still don’t think he would even come into the debate if they were picking a 40th anniversary team in 2033.

It's who he plays for. There's a real belief anyone looks good in our side. People still think Stones has a mistake in him when he has been not only incredibly consistent, dependable and dominant defensively but one of the best players in the modern era with the ball at his feet and carrying it into midfield. For England he has been solid and under utilised really, in terms of his all around ability and for City to dominate the way he did in an FA Cup final derby and then CL final, most dribbles since Messi for fuck sake, as a CB!!! He is a different class. He has plenty of time left and maybe when he retires he will get the plaudits he deserves. He's not a **** like the two you mention for starters.

There is a high chances Stones could surpass both in all success on paper but I still don’t think he would even come into the debate if they were picking a 40th anniversary team in 2033.
I’m a newer football fan, but my kids and I have had a similar debate about other sports and I think a few things come into play that might be relevant here.

1) The overall level of the sport has increased so much in the last 20 years, so it’s harder for any one player to standout. It’s why I feel like these lists sometimes skew to older players.
2) Players from great teams (not just successful teams but teams that work as a true unit) often don’t get recognized as much as virtuosos. This isn’t a City bias, I see this all the time in American sports. And I don’t think it’s because City makes it easy for players, it’s just harder separate the sum into its parts.
3) it’s always hard to put current players in the top “best ever” tier. Even if you know they’ll end up there, it’s still always “one day they may be…”
4) Often time these lists don’t know how to recognize players that play hybrid roles. You see that all the time in teams of the week, etc.

I think it’s way too soon to say if he’s not going to be in the convo in 2033.

Come on John Boy … whoops sorry…Come on Mr Stones. You should be player of the year this season. Show ‘em Mr Stones, show ‘em all what you are made of. You are made of bravery, great football, loyalty and magical skills.

IMHO :-) :-)

Pep please have JB in the starting lineup on Saturday.

Come on John Boy … whoops sorry…Come on Mr Stones. You should be player of the year this season. Show ‘em Mr Stones, show ‘em all what you are made of. You are made of bravery, great football, loyalty and magical skills.

IMHO :-) :-)

Pep please have JB in the starting lineup on Saturday.
I'm going to be over for the game; I'll have a word with the bald frau Pep on your behalf.

Thank you. I was once called the Matriarch of the Eccles OSC and I am a grandmother and great-grandmother. Thank you. I try to be kind and friendly. :-)
Yeah I figured you were a grandmother or great-grandmother.

Just I haven't saw you have a nasty or even sarcastic word for anyone on here, which is very refreshing for a forum or the internet. I can tell you have a very kind heart.

I always look out for your posts - and your knowledge is decent too - thanks for making the forum a more pleasant place.

Yeah I figured you were a grandmother or great-grandmother.

Just I haven't saw you have a nasty or even sarcastic word for anyone on here, which is very refreshing for a forum or the internet. I can tell you have a very kind heart.

I always look out for your posts - and your knowledge is decent too - thanks for making the forum a more pleasant place.
Awww, thank you @Silva 83 that is so nice of you. I try to be friendly and sometimes quite cheeky (ask @jimharri) and everyone is kind to me. :-)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.