6 | Nathan Ake - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's such good player but more than that he's such a likeable player.

I feared for him when he made the move to City that he was making a terrible career move but he's been amazing and correct if I'm wrong but he's looking like your most consistent defender this season.

He's such good player but more than that he's such a likeable player.

I feared for him when he made the move to City that he was making a terrible career move but he's been amazing and correct if I'm wrong but he's looking like your most consistent defender this season.
I would argue he has been our best all-around defender.

Dias is our best leader and last ditch defender (probably the best in the league on the latter).

Laporte is our best passing defender (up there with the best in the league on his day).

Stones is our best defender with ball at his feet and in the air (his aerial display for England against Italy was just another example of how dominant he is in the latter category), even whilst playing out of position.

But Ake is our best open play defender (1v1 with cover, positioning in the middle third, knowing when to stay back, press, or overlap, etc) and has begun to add direct contributions to our attack whilst also playing slightly out of position as our left back. Further, he is likely the second best among our defenders in most of the other categories I have listed above, making him him the best all-around defender.

I am chuffed for him, as he is also one of the most professional players in the league, never complaining when he hasn’t played, nor has he done anything off the pitch to embarrass the club (unlike a few of our players in recent times, unfortunately).

For me he is the archetypal Pep player from a skill, intelligence, and mindset perspective, and he is being duly rewarded for his professionalism now.

Oh, and I think there is an argument to be made that he is not only the Netherland’s best defender but perhaps their best player full stop right now.

I hope he is able to maintain this level and even perhaps develop a bit further over the rest of the season and beyond.

Laporte is our best passing defender (up there with the best in the league on his day).

I disagree with this. He’s best at the long diagonal but passing is about so much more than that.

Stones’ passing is still incredibly underrated because he makes the right pass at the right time, perfectly.

It’s not that hard to knock a ball 40 yards when you’ve got time and space, but receiving the ball under pressure, getting you’re head up and seeing where the attack can develop and then passing so the receiving player is running into that space is something very few players and even fewer defenders can do.

I disagree with this. He’s best at the long diagonal but passing is about so much more than that.

Stones’ passing is still incredibly underrated because he makes the right pass at the right time, perfectly.

It’s not that hard to knock a ball 40 yards when you’ve got time and space, but receiving the ball under pressure, getting you’re head up and seeing where the attack can develop and then passing so the receiving player is running into that space is something very few players and even fewer defenders can do.
I knew you would find some part of my post to disagree with, so I won’t really argue with you, as I think Stones is a good passer of the ball, as well. I just think Laporte, at his best, is just a bit better, especially the long balls you mention.

But I do get a little chuckle that you are telling me Stones is underrated. ;-)

Anyway, we can agree Ake is very good.

Best defender in the league on current form.

Had back-to-back blocks to deny Liverpool in the first half which were pivotal to going on to humiliate them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.