6 | Nathan Ake - 2024/25

Can you please explain to me why we as a club have to suffer for something that happened while he was on international duty? The clubs develop the players, fine tune them into the players they become. And it's the clubs who pay the players. Rather well. In my opinion, the clubs should be able to to refuse to allow the players to go on international duty. I wouldn't give a toss if none of our players were selected for international duty. Domestic football is more important to me. And, I'm guessing, quite a few on here.
It's to do with the players' love of country - something a few on here seem not to recognise as a suitable feeling.

It's to do with the players' love of country - something a few on here seem not to recognise as a suitable feeling.
I get that, 100%. They should, however, try to remember that them playing for England, Germany, Netherlands, Spain, whoever is of no benefit to City on the pitch. We're now without a valuable squad member for x weeks/months. Anyway; I'm not going to argue all night with you. You won't change my mind, and I won't change yours. So be it.

I 100% agree with you - I mentioned as such a few posts back. English people seem to have a very different view of international play. And the player is always the victim and the intl team is always at fault.

But I do think most players start having a harder time with those extra games after 30. Modric is clearly a freak of nature. And it’s been a joy to watch him.
and yet i saw some posts about people being proud of rico lewis starting for england. eh, people.

i saw a headline, apparently ben white doesn’t want to play for england, so his previous refusal wasn’t about southgate. i guess this will make him a national hero now!

I get that, 100%. They should, however, try to remember that them playing for England, Germany, Netherlands, Spain, whoever is of no benefit to City on the pitch. We're now without a valuable squad member for x weeks/months. Anyway; I'm not going to argue all night with you. You won't change my mind, and I won't change yours. So be it.
It’s not so much club v country in my view but more about stupid and ridiculous scheduling

Can you please explain to me why we as a club have to suffer for something that happened while he was on international duty? The clubs develop the players, fine tune them into the players they become. And it's the clubs who pay the players. Rather well. In my opinion, the clubs should be able to to refuse to allow the players to go on international duty. I wouldn't give a toss if none of our players were selected for international duty. Domestic football is more important to me. And, I'm guessing, quite a few on here.
Your feelings make sense to me, they’re just different than mine. I just think those of us who come to football through other means have different feelings. I’m a new fan and the World Cup brought me to football - so I always have a soft spot for it. I know that’s not the norm on this forum.

Some will roll their eyes at this example and it’s not exactly the same but it’s somewhat analogous. my kids play baseball on two teams in the US. One a private team with excellent coaching and a high level of skill. One is a town all star team with a more varied level of skill and parent coaches. Their joy and the importance they place on the town team is second to none. It’s like returning home when they get to play on the town team - the people they grew up, the pride they feel in being picked to play for their town in state tournaments.

Unfortunately we have a couple injury prone players that are valuable assets for their national teams. It sucks. But I don’t think it’s an international team issue, it’s too many games for both club and country.

Your feelings make sense to me, they’re just different than mine. I just think those of us who come to football through other means have different feelings. I’m a new fan and the World Cup brought me to football - so I always have a soft spot for it. I know that’s not the norm on this forum.

Some will roll their eyes at this example and it’s not exactly the same but it’s somewhat analogous. my kids play baseball on two teams in the US. One a private team with excellent coaching and a high level of skill. One is a town all star team with a more varied level of skill and parent coaches. Their joy and the importance they place on the town team is second to none. It’s like returning home when they get to play on the town team - the people they grew up, the pride they feel in being picked to play for their town in state tournaments.

Unfortunately we have a couple injury prone players that are valuable assets for their national teams. It sucks. But I don’t think it’s an international team issue, it’s too many games for both club and country.
Please don't think I'm having a go, because I'm not. But you're from America, and I'm guessing that the culture of club football isn't as strong stateside as it would be in Europe. Your perspective would be from a national team's viewpoint. Which is fine. I have no problem with that.

We can cope without Ake for several months, hope he's back in December. If we need more defenders, we can buy in January.

Guys who can play at LB: Gvardiol, Akanji, Rico, Wilson-Esbrand.

And at CB: Dias, Stones, Akanji, Gvardiol. If we lack players, even Walker and Rodri can play there. 2 injuries to CBs and we may have to rely on Walker or Rodri to feature at CB in some games.

Players love their country. Big fuckin whoop. They are paid millions to play for City. How much is their country paying them??? If I was txiki or Pep I’d say, guys, you can play the qualifier matches, no problem. But I will absolutely not allow you to play in friendlies or some stupid fuckkng nations league. You got under 23 players, use them for those games. We are two years from the WC. These games are 100% unnecessary and a product of greed. Nobody watches these dumb ass games and the only thing we seem to get out of it is injured players. Hell Pep allowed Alvarez to play in the Olympics and what did we get in return, a transfer demand. We get to play Arsenal without their top player, which I am not complaining about, but he should have never had to risk Injury in the first place. If it isn’t clear, I hate fucking international breaks.

Last edited:
Please don't think I'm having a go, because I'm not. But you're from America, and I'm guessing that the culture of club football isn't as strong stateside as it would be in Europe. Your perspective would be from a national team's viewpoint. Which is fine. I have no problem with that.
I am from America too, but I fucking hate international bullshit games. Euro was a snooze, copa America was a snooze, the next wc will be a snooze. The quality of the games sucks because by the time the meaningful games are played, players are exhausted from playing real football for the last 10 months

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.