7 | Joao Cancelo - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does it occur to people that we may well need Aké in central defence? Much as I love him, Stonesy seems to be made of glass. And I now don't think that's going to get better.
Rico is very much a right-sided defender, so is Kyle. Gomes on the left simply doesn't look to be at the level required in the big, big games. Ok in games against middling to lower table opposition.
It's also a bit of a myth that Cancelo never puts in a tackle. This very season I've seen him put in some important last-ditch tackles. I'm not questioning that he's far better going forward than defending, by the way.
Unless we've got someone definitely coming in this is madness.

And Ake is having a stellar season but he offers fuck all in terms of creative play upfront, this affects our overall play on the left side which can be better (yes I know he scored last game).
We are league's top scorers. Generally we have found a way to get goals. Our problem has been an unsettled defence and Ake has been a key solution. We were routinely being targeted down the right side (our left). Imagine Saka against Cancelo ...

We might on the margin struggle to break down packed defences, but Ake makes us better in games against other top sides which is crucial approaching the business end of the season.

Yes it would be ideal to replace Cancelo, but looks like this situation spiraled downwards in the last week or two so getting rid of a dressing room cancer became the top priority. My guess is the rest of the team is behind this decision.

Don’t agree. Cancelo and Grealish on the left was a recipe for disaster. I will admit that he has provided some decent moves going forward, but defending is certainly not his strong point. The balance looks much better with Ake and Grealish. Their performances against Arsenal were outstanding considering that they were were up against an excellent player in Saka.

let's not kid ourselves here Aki is a central defender. The main reason we aren't creating chances like we used to is due to a lack of attacking from both left and right back positions. It needs rectifying but it looks like it will be summer now and I'm not expecting to win a thing this season because of it.

What could possibly go wrong with an injury prone Ake and Laporte deputising at left back until the end of the season. You just know Gomez will be our only option in a few weeks time
Go 3 at the back. Add in an extra midfielder is the way to go. It’s not like we are keeping teams out anyway. Maybe this will force pep’s hand into a formation change.

He's been one of our stand-out players for the last 2-3 years. Arguably one of the best full-backs in the world, and so creative and valuable when he tucks into the midfield.

Yes, he's had a couple bad months of form, but so has Foden, guessing you'd want to sell him too then?

People have short-term memory. 3 bad months does not make him any less world-class. The only explanation for this is if he and Pep had a falling out
As with every player Pep would be looking for a response, if he’s been dropped then sulked (as has been intimated) you can bet your last ha’ppeny in Pep calling it out, which he has done on numerous occasions, the warnings have not been heeded by Cancelo so off he pops, you can’t have that kind of negativity in the dressing room at this stage of the season, you don’t think he’s gone on his first strike do you? It doesn’t matter how good you are under Pep (Zlatan Yaya etc) if you don’t put it in you’re out. As for Phil, his form may of dropped but he’ll be back, his situation is nothing like cancelo’s, but like a few others I hope they see this and the recent team selections as a warning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.