7 | Joao Cancelo - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cancelo was the biggest victim of the confusion with the system yesterday. Its a bad error but it's not like having him last man against Salah was fool proof even if he had done everything perfectly. Doesn't happen with Kev tamely tapping it into Alissons arms either.

Bad game but I can't really say any performance from players asked to do new confusing jobs are indicative of their overall quality in general.
Honestly I think Cancelo is not the victim but the reason why Pep changed the system. We don't have other defenders available. Gomez was not ready for this kind of game. Then Cancelo has to play. Given his left back record against Salah, in community shield and last season at Anfield, Pep had to put him on the right hand side.

Well it still failed miserably. Salah was given a free role and he attacked everywhere. So Cancelo had no where to hide.

Honestly I think Cancelo is not the victim but the reason why Pep changed the system. We don't have other defenders available. Gomez was not ready for this kind of game. Then Cancelo has to play. Given his left back record against Salah, in community shield and last season at Anfield, Pep had to put him on the right hand side.

Well it still failed miserably. Salah was given a free role and he attacked everywhere. So Cancelo had no where to hide.
Honestly for me if we just started Cancelo LB, Akanji RB and didn't nullify the usual games of Foden, De Bruyne, Rodri and Cancelo (not to mention getting Grealish on the pitch) we'd have won. Sure we might have conceded but we'd have actually scored.

Not sure who else would be left to mark Salah, Walker would usually do the job but the other 3 were centre backs and more of a set piece threat, and not as fast as Cancelo. It was just a terrible decision by him to try and win a ball that he was never going to win.

His main problem as a defender is he plays on instinct and his natural instinct is to always attack and always look to be progressive

this is great most of the time but he cant adjust and sense the right time to react this way

countless times hes caught out by trying a risky square ball into midfield, he even did the same with a throw in yesterday

hes also always trying to keep the ball alive when a more calm head would be slowing down the tempo and drawing breath

hes a passionate guy, you can see that in his celebrations but in games like this you need ice in your veins not fire

we got sucked into a blood and thunder game after the disallowed goal , that’s the reason we lost the game and Cancelo is one of the catalysts for that

same against Madrid, he tries a ridiculous ball when we just need to keep Posession and see the game out

Honestly for me if we just started Cancelo LB, Akanji RB and didn't nullify the usual games of Foden, De Bruyne, Rodri and Cancelo (not to mention getting Grealish on the pitch) we'd have won. Sure we might have conceded but we'd have actually scored.
I don't think so. We have not created enough clear chances in this game. The problem was using Gundogan and De Bruyne as a wingers/two attacking midfielders? Too safe, too one-dimentional and too predictable in terms of Liverpol's defense again. We need speedy and unpredictable wingers around Haaland to create more and more danger against teams like them. We have produced very little yesterday.

His main problem as a defender is he plays on instinct and his natural instinct is to always attack and always look to be progressive

this is great most of the time but he cant adjust and sense the right time to react this way

countless times hes caught out by trying a risky square ball into midfield, he even did the same with a throw in yesterday

hes also always trying to keep the ball alive when a more calm head would be slowing down the tempo and drawing breath

hes a passionate guy, you can see that in his celebrations but in games like this you need ice in your veins not fire

we got sucked into a blood and thunder game after the disallowed goal , that’s the reason we lost the game and Cancelo is one of the catalysts for that

same against Madrid, he tries a ridiculous ball when we just need to keep Posession and see the game out

Spot on. He's rash ultimately. He dives in time and time again when standing the man up is the best option, particularly against Salah who looks for that and beats you. As soon as that ball was lumped forwards, he should have been backing off and giving Salah someone to beat, whilst the other defensive players got back to try and challenge him. We had about 4 others in the frame around Salah, it was a situation we could have dealt with. Salah would probably have had to check back to find a team mate because he was on his own. Instead Joao jumps in and that's the game.

Spot on. He's rash ultimately. He dives in time and time again when standing the man up is the best option, particularly against Salah who looks for that and beats you. As soon as that ball was lumped forwards, he should have been backing off and giving Salah someone to beat, whilst the other defensive players got back to try and challenge him. We had about 4 others in the frame around Salah, it was a situation we could have dealt with. Salah would probably have had to check back to find a team mate because he was on his own. Instead Joao jumps in and that's the game.
Yup.
Time and again he steps out and the forward gets behind him. He just isn't a calm fella, but wants to act when he should just wait and hold his position.

But, this isn't news at all.
Playing such a high line at Anfield is criminal, Pep. Cancelo's stepping out is schoolboy defending. And no Herr Klopp, it wasn't brilliant by Salah using his body, Cancelo just fuxxed it up.

Cancelo said it's great to learn from mistakes. But at 28 he shouldn't talk about that anymore. I doubt he will change.

I think the consequence should be, Cancelo can't be the last man to save our arses in such a situation.
Let a CB stay deep enough, our standards vs VVD are useless anyway. Risk is too high to get all our CBs in their box.

We just can't give away such a goal in high stake matches on a silver platter. Laughable. CL killer.

Last edited:
Yup.
Time and again he steps out and the forward gets behind him. He just isn't a calm fella, but wants to act when he should just wait and hold his position.

Playing such a high line at Anfield is criminal, Pep. Cancelo's stepping out is schoolboy defending. And no Herr Klopp, it wasn't brilliant by Salah using his body, Cancelo just fuxxed it up.

Cancelo said it's great to learn from mistakes. But at 28 he shouldn't talk about that anymore. I doubt he will change.

I think the consequence should be, Cancelo can't be the last man to save our arses in such a situation.
Let a CB stay deep enough, our standards vs VVD are useless anyway. Risk is too high to get all our CBs in their box.

We just can't give away such a goal in high stake matches on a silver platter. Laughable. CL killer.

It's often been our problem. But we play a risky brand of football and it rewards us more often than not. The free kick should have been better. Someone should have blocked Allison from releasing the ball. Cancelo should have backed off. Three things to work on. We made similar errors against Real, all punished. And Pep went rogue for the Chelsea final as well. At this level the margins are fine but we don't see to be improving in those areas. Pep again played the occasion and meddled with a team in good shape against one under huge pressure.

We have a lot of spirit and fight but there's still room to improve. Fundamentally though you'd expect much more of Cancelo there and hopefully next time he does better. For me he is critical to our game when we are dominant but a real weakness when we are under pressure. He doesn't do simple and sometimes that's what we need.

Yup.

Cancelo learn from mistakes! I almost spat my wine out reading that. Did he really say that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.