7 | Joao Cancelo - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
If that’s his way of getting over it, I’m fine with it. Last thing we want is him moping about it. What I want to know is how did he come to be the last man, up against Salah. I know good players are apt at isolating weakness but what happened to the centre backs?
The fault lies with whoever selected him to be in that position at that time. The defender had everything in his favour, facing the right way and just has to make contact with the ball before Salah. You don't put a player with known suspect defending skills in that situation.

The fault lies with whoever selected him to be in that position at that time. The defender had everything in his favour, facing the right way and just has to make contact with the ball before Salah. You don't put a player with known suspect defending skills in that situation.
He lead the team in tackles and interceptions last year, I do think the "suspect defending" of Cancelo is massively exaggerated, mainly because he's so good going forwards.

Tbh I'm not convinced any of our defenders aren't capable of committing the same error 1 on 1 against Salah.

He was way too tight to Salah too. If you’re not sure you’ll win the ball in that situation, give him a couple of yards then tackle him. Hindsight I know, but challenging him there was a 50/50 and the downside wasn’t worth it, as shown. The player has to take some responsibility, as he has done, so we move on.

Well that is complete nonsense isnt it. Walker is widely spoken about as one of the toughest fullbacks in the world.

Cancelo isn't the best defensively but 99.9% of games he tears teams apart and is a huge part of our success. You won't find anyone better.
Agree, He was motm the game before!

He lead the team in tackles and interceptions last year, I do think the "suspect defending" of Cancelo is massively exaggerated, mainly because he's so good going forwards.

Tbh I'm not convinced any of our defenders aren't capable of committing the same error 1 on 1 against Salah.
He's a brilliant front foot defender. He presses really high and often wins the ball back or causes turn overs.

He's not a very good back foot defender. Not so confident when being run at. Agaisnt Salah, instead of just jockeying/delaying him and waiting for support, he tried to nip in and win the ball as that's his strength. It was a bad decision in the circumstance

If that’s his way of getting over it, I’m fine with it. Last thing we want is him moping about it. What I want to know is how did he come to be the last man, up against Salah. I know good players are apt at isolating weakness but what happened to the centre backs?
Why did the whole team go up for the free kick as if it was the 96th minute and we were 1-0 down? We gifted it to Liverpool. Cancelo should never be the last man v Salah. When Kyle is not there Akanji is our fastest defender.

Why did the whole team go up for the free kick as if it was the 96th minute and we were 1-0 down? We gifted it to Liverpool. Cancelo should never be the last man v Salah. When Kyle is not there Akanji is our fastest defender.
No idea mate, especially after such a conservative approach during the rest of the game. Onwards and upwards.

That’s harsh in the extreme. He is saying he will be a better player for his mistakes. That’s how you learn. We win and lose as a team.
I would far rather a positive attitude to setbacks that sulking or moping. Imo it’s really sad that a blue would call any of our players ‘utter morons’ for a mistake in play. I’m sure you are far better than that comment.
I hold my hands up and admit that my reaction was a bit out of line. I would have certainly reacted differently if his slip-up was against any other team other than this lot and their overrated serial diver ! I couldn‘t suck it up. Besides, for the second year in a row he makes that diver look like a prime Messi. I got even more irritated when I saw their performance against West ham (undeserved win) and their loss today. Any way, there is still a second game at Etihad and I hope we will thump them.

Pep said in the post match interview " Kevin did not follow".

The plan is that KDB should drop back after kicking the set piece. Then it will be 2 men defending which is a common practice for similar set pieces.

However even KDB did not follow. Cancelo should still do much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.