7 | Joao Cancelo - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn’t he get robbed or a nasty burglary at his home a while ago. Some times these things manifest months or years later. His wife may be suffering or he may feel guilty or unsafe. Of course this is just speculation on my part.

He may be homesick as well.

Hopefully whatever it is he can work through it. Hopefully city fans will back and support him at games. To be fair at the ground I don’t hear much abuse coming his way.
Plus I do love the let it snow song .

Here is a player that has previously had the odd mistake in him, a player that some have criticised for not offering as much defensively as offensively. However, he's also a player that has never suffered from a lack of confidence, has been lauded as one of the best attacking fullbacks in the league and has been one of our key players in winning important games.

All that aside, at the moment he looks to have completely imploded culminating in that performance against Southampton. The foul throw, the weird sliced banana kick towards the end, the inability to pass a 5 yard ball, the inability to pass a 20 yard ball. The inability to tackle or be in the correct position throughout the game.

Relatively speaking, I've never seen a player perform so bad in a game. I find it weird how he actually managed to stay on throughout.

Question is, what has caused this? Lack or playing time? Personal problems? Poor management?

I think its all of the questions you asked combined mate to be honest. I think him coming back after the world cup and not starting straight away has pissed him off and have no doubt peps comments about players attitudes and body language around the place etc would be aimed at cancelo as he is quite a sulky character? Then it will no doubt have affected not only him but his wife when they will burgled and assaulted in their own home? Not a dig at pep so much but i guess man management skills are knowing who you need to kick arse with and who responds better to an arm around their shoulder, private praise etc to get the best out of them?

Hes been pap for quite a while now tbh. Pep has clearly lost trust.

Id also love to know whats happened to Phil Foden who also has been way underpar since the resumption after the WC.
I know what you mean about Foden, but playing left wing at City is a fool’s errand at the moment without an overlapping full back.

How we’ve not acquired a quality left back for so many years is beyond me.

He doesn’t do the basics.

Everything is a flick or a fancy touch. He must give it away more than anyone else.. or at least it seems like that.

His defensive frailties don’t bother me as much. I just want him to be able to do the correct pass nice and simply when necessary. Not through someone’s legs or outside of his foot.

Please Joao, try and be normal. Ake as the spare man in attacks is killing us.

My guess is along the following lines:

1) Pep has overplayed Cancelo due to injuries to Walker (last and this season), Ake and Zinchenko. He played over 60 games for club and country in 21/22, far more minutes than any other City player.
2) As a result of 1), Cancelo lost form and made some bad mistakes (Liverpool, Fulham).
3) As a result of 2), Pep was/is critical of Cancelo.
4) Cancelo wasn't/isn't happy with Pep's criticisms, their communication has suffered from it.

Pep has little choice but to help him regain form. Otherwise, the team may suffer, especially after some inevitable injuries in the final months. Guess Cancelo is off in the summer. Real and other clubs may be interested.

Cancelo has had a nomadic career to date, probably because his inconsistency becomes an issue for every team.
In the last few appearances he's given the ball away or put team mates in trouble a significant number of times. These aren't because he's pressured or trying something creative - they are simple passes when he's under no pressure. It's lazy and casual, which to me suggests he doesn't give a shit.

Added to the fact that he's always got a major error in him, I'd say it's time for him to move on. We simply can't rely on him

Imo Cancelo has a flakey personality and his demeanour is not good when the going is tough.

If I remember correctly something wasn't right in the Portugal camp of the WC and he wasn't played.

Whilst he has had some really good games, I think he has too many ordinary/bad games to be considered a reliable member of the team, and in his supposed best position of RB I think he is generally poor.

As there is " speculation " about teams being interested in signing him because he is not playing regularly, I wonder whether we have let it be known that we would be prepared to let him go.

I personally find him very frustrating, so would not be upset if we decide to sell him, and a miserable / unhappy player in the club is not Pep's way .

I was very surprised that the club gave him an improved contract .

He seems to have a run of games where he looks like an absolute world-beater and then lapses back into being erratic, wimping out of 50-50s and out of position defensively. Recently he’s been jaw-droppingly poor, not helped by being played on the same side of the pitch as Walker when the two just get in each other’s way. Not sure if we can risk giving him many chances of playing his way back into form at the moment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.