7 | Joao Cancelo - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every claim about Cancelo's weaknesses can be translated into numbers. Say, he can't do X and Y sufficiently well. Then we look at actual numbers about defensive actions and mistakes (duels, interceptions, tackles, errors leading to chances, etc.) and see that the opinions of many City fans about his weaknesses are inadequate. Compare his defensive stats to any LB in the league. Cancelo's are highly likely to be better. Compare his stats from last season to Robertson's. Cancelo's are much better, both defensively and offensively.

You won't find a LB in the world who can do everything Cancelo does, but is better in defence. Pep will have to help him find form again or the season will go south. For he is also our fittest defender. Unfortunately, Walker's and Ake's injury records haven't been the best, they are likely to get injured at some point. Plus, it's completely pointless to play with two defensive FBs in 90% of the games.
How do absolutely awful mistakes like the one v Liverpool translate to numbers? Or the fact that he's making other players play on edge cause they're worried about his next fuck up?

You're right, we won't find a LB who does what cancelo does. Not sure we'd want to

New improved contract maybe, it can put some players in the comfort zone, let’s hope he can come out of it because we need him.

How do absolutely awful mistakes like the one v Liverpool translate to numbers?

Errors leading to GA.

If you think that Walker or Stones or Zinchenko haven't made bad mistakes in important games, you are deluded. Bad mistakes and poor injury records are tolerated with regard to some players, though.

We wouldn't want another FB who could make the PFA team of the year in back to back seasons. Have you thought that through?

He was average when he first joined and played as right back. He switched to left back (moving inside to support the midfield) and looked good.

Pep moved him back to right back and he looks average again. Hmmm. Maybe put him on the left again?

I also agree that he thinks he is better than he is (even when he was playing well) and needs to play the simple pass rather than trying to shoot from stupid angles or play ticky little passes which look great the one time in a hundred they come off.

Don't see what problem there is, he was never that defensively sound and for period when we went to a false 9 and were reliant on only zivchenko as our LB his more better offensive abilities were on top form, for about half a season.

he is as good or bad as he has been most of his time here hence why he was always 2nd choice RB until as said we only had Zinc to cover LB

tbh Danilo was a better defender than him and I never got the swap, but understand Pep prefers players he can move into other roles and cancello can play right or left, though how well he plays on the day is anyone guess

Left or right back, he has never looked solid in defence to me. It's just lately he has also looked very poor in attack.
I would play Ake left back tomorrow.
And I obviously know far more than Pep :)

Errors leading to GA.

If you think that Walker or Stones or Zinchenko haven't made bad mistakes in important games, you are deluded. Bad mistakes and poor injury records are tolerated with regard to some players, though.

We wouldn't want another FB who could make the PFA team of the year in back to back seasons. Have you thought that through?
Everyone makes mistakes but the current version of Cancelo looks like a pub player. The mistakes from the other players are probably tolerated more cause they don't walk around with a face like a slapped arse or try to get opposition players booked through play acting.

How long do we wait for him to get back to form? How many 0/10 performances do we have to put up with whilst we wait his next burst of good form? He plays well for chunks of each season and the rest of the time he's a full-on liability. We need to move beyond him.

As there is " speculation " about teams being interested in signing him because he is not playing regularly, I wonder whether we have let it be known that we would be prepared to let him go.

You don't need to leak such information, it's obvious that virtually any squad player is available for the right price. Even Bernardo is available for the right price, and he's central to our midfield. If Cancelo is no more than a squad player, interested clubs may get him relatively on the cheap.

I wonder about those City fans who don't rate Cancelo: would you sell him to United or Arsenal? He won't make them better, right? Say, 35m and he's theirs?

Left or right back, he has never looked solid in defence to me. It's just lately he has also looked very poor in attack.
I would play Ake left back tomorrow.
And I obviously know far more than Pep :)
Ake has done well for us but LB, but no, no, no, as Amy sang. He can flap a bit in that position and give’s the ball away. Not sure who I’d like to play there tomorrow but you’re probably right with Ake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.