#7 | Raheem Sterling - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't help it but nothing any of our players does makes me more annoyed, just viscerally, then when he gets the ball in the wing and stops. just stops functioning for around 10 seconds, not moving, not passing the ball. just pure and utter momentum killer. Does this exact move 5 times a game and it does my head in every time.

It's not important, mind, but it manages to piss me off every time
Sadly, there were plenty guilty of that on Sunday.

move him to the right as sooner or later Grealish will be frustrated he will bump into him on the left repeatedly.

Also I wonder how he will react if his game time will decrease this season, there was one moment after he was subbed looking miserable around 75th minute.

I prefer a Rodri, Foden, KDB trio when all fit in midfield, and Grealish-Kane-Sterling trio upfront with Torres, Mahrez biting at every chance to displace Sterling.

Tbf, he has been excellent on the left before for us, so not sure his loss of form is related to which side of the pitch he is fielded.

Didn't he play on the left for England in the Euros and, haven't I read on here not too far back that he has stated his preference is for the left?
Get goals from left doesn’t he and for England he bagged a few. His movement is superb and in a couple of those England games he got more space in behind than he’ll get for us as we know how deep teams sit. He still actually looked his best for England when he switched to the right during the Denmark game. He just started to use his best asset and piss past the fullback. Even harder for him on the left when we don’t have a fullback who can’t hit the byline. Foden gives us so much more width when out on the left and really stretches the pitch. Sterling could do that on the right

Last edited:
Get goals from left doesn’t he and for England he bagged a few. His movement is superb and in a couple of those England games he got more space in behind than he’ll get for us as we know how deep teams sit. He still actually looked his best for England when he switched to the right during the Denmark game. He just started to use his best asset and piss past the fullback. Even harder for him on the left when we don’t have a fullback who can’t hit the byline. Foden gives us so much more width when out on the left and really stretches the pitch. Sterling could do that on the right
I stopped watching England years ago so can only go by what posters have said re his form for England during the Euros, which by all accounts was great.

The issue to which we have both alluded to is the different types of exam question faced between league and knockout games.

Technically, Sterling has struggled with the demands Pep now places upon him, forced by the way teams set up against us. Because of that, I don't see how moving him to the right, which many are clamouring for would make much difference.

I stopped watching England years ago so can only go by what posters have said re his form for England during the Euros, which by all accounts was great.

The issue to which we have both alluded to is the different types of exam question faced between league and knockout games.

Technically, Sterling has struggled with the demands Pep now places upon him, forced by the way teams set up against us. Because of that, I don't see how moving him to the right, which many are clamouring for would make much difference.
I think it would help stretch the pitch like Foden does on the left and Sane used to do. It could also see a return to Sterling dribbling up to a fullback and then just using his pace. His biggest problem on the left is he can’t really use his pace as he has to stop and come back all the time. Also he hasn’t got the dribbling skills of a Robben( few have)to cut inside and go past 3. He’s basically got a shift and shoot job from the edge of the box or he can poach from the left if we’re creating from the other side. Beyond that he offers zero down the left.

I think it would help stretch the pitch like Foden does on the left and Sane used to do. It could also see a return to Sterling dribbling up to a fullback and then just using his pace. His biggest problem on the left is he can’t really use his pace as he has to stop and come back all the time. Also he hasn’t got the dribbling skills of a Robben( few have)to cut inside and go past 3. He’s basically got a shift and shoot job from the edge of the box or he can poach from the left if we’re creating from the other side. Beyond that he offers zero down the left.
I wonder why then he prefers the left

I agree moving him to the right wing will benefit 3/4 players.

Raheem will keep Mahrez performing and it enables Jack/Foden to either play left or as 10.

Also city benefit from not having to use both inverted wingers.

Win win. As another poster alluded to earlier. Sterling needs to either try and get on the end of a pass or set up goal scoring opportunities. Currently he is doing neither.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.