#7 | Raheem Sterling - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stand-out performer in a truly horrible game to watch. I’m eating some humble pie, I’ll admit, because I didn’t think him capable even of yesterday’s levels. I just hope I don’t see anyone on here saying “remember Raheem against Wolves in the Fatty Moss game” if he goes on another 18-month slump. Let’s have some more Tuesday night.

He was pretty good yesterday but you can't seriously think it was his best game for two years? Just off the top of my head he scored vs Real Madrid at the Etihad, hat-trick vs Brighton, brace vs Watford, was great in the 4-0 over Arsenal and the loss to Chelsea. He hasn't been great the last two years but definitely had many better games than yesterday, where if not for the penalty he wouldn't have scored.
Yhp. In most of those games he was neither the key, fulfilled his potential or they were just "finally, something right" moments. Yesterday the runs were on a 2019 level and he created more than he has for a while. Whilst he chips in in those aforementioned games yesterday as an all-round performance was the best this decade.

I suppose you can argue his run in project restart but that's still the first half of 2020, empty stadiums and nobody gave a shit about the league. Then he fucked us out of the Lyon game so I think that will always leave a bitter taste so that period of his career is better forgotten about.

Definitely improved in the last couple of weeks or so.

When he's doing those fast mazy runs, you know he's on his game.

Sterling is at his most dangerous on the right running into the penalty area. His pace worries most fb's and hopefully he will now get a run of games on the right.
I keep banging the drum for playing on the right is where he should be , moving to left he is a lot worse , since his slump began in about feb time THIS year

I keep banging the drum for playing on the right is where he should be , moving to left he is a lot worse , since his slump began in about feb time THIS year
That also coincided with sane on left and now again when Foden on left (cross for goal v Watford). Linking up from both wings

He was great today. He didn't actually have a particularly good game on the ball, touches weren't great, decisions were poor and he needs to learn to stay on his feet but the reason why he was great was because he was offering the side exactly what he should be offering us, pace, runs in behind, passing options and directness.

First half he was largely uninvolved but he was a constant threat because he made runs everytime we got forward, some of them were not very good runs and we largely ignored them as a team but that is what we need from him not the standing behind the player on the ball and moving away from goal sterling we've seen all too often.

Seeing those things from him today throughout suggests what Pep says about taking him back to basics is paying off, he's not in the team to do the things others do, he's incapable, use your key unique attributes and play to your strengths.

Never take a fucking penalty though jesus christ.
Yeah bad penalty miss.

Sterling is at his most dangerous on the right running into the penalty area. His pace worries most fb's and hopefully he will now get a run of games on the right.

Not only that, if he’s on the right and cutting in he’s bringing the left back inside, putting him on his wrong foot, making him off balance for any tackle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.