#7 | Raheem Sterling - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure how we proceed with the sterling problem.

How long before we have to make a decision on his future? Sterling is not an automatic starter and his impact on the field is peripheral. I am perplexed at his fall from the top. His England form has covered the cracks.

Sterling has not turned up for city in any meaningful way for at least 1 season. He looked world class, he works hard, his positional sense is fantastic and he is rarely injured.

On the wing we have better options. He can’t finish so playing up top is not a good decision.

He will leave on a free is the only conclusion.

He really is a conundrum.

Not sure how we proceed with the sterling problem.

How long before we have to make a decision on his future? Sterling is not an automatic starter and his impact on the field is peripheral. I am perplexed at his fall from the top. His England form has covered the cracks.

Sterling has not turned up for city in any meaningful way for at least 1 season. He looked world class, he works hard, his positional sense is fantastic and he is rarely injured.

On the wing we have better options. He can’t finish so playing up top is not a good decision.

He will leave on a free is the only conclusion.

He really is a conundrum.
My usual answer to this is play him on the right but jesus looks really good there so not sure anymore. Atleast for this season he can duke it out with Torres to play upfront. Until foden is back he can rotate wigh the grealish on the left.

He will run down his contract then leave hope signs a new contract and stays because he gives us options

My usual answer to this is play him on the right but jesus looks really good there so not sure anymore. Atleast for this season he can duke it out with Torres to play upfront. Until foden is back he can rotate wigh the grealish on the left.
The answer is fine. Moving the problem around without any real solution.

He was purchased as a direct attacking winger. If he can’t be that player his time with City is probably nearing its end. The constant links away would suggest he is open to the idea.

We need him to run at defenders and make a decisive pass in the final 3rd. He currently does neither.

The answer is fine. Moving the problem around without any real solution.

He was purchased as a direct attacking winger. If he can’t be that player his time with City is probably nearing its end. The constant links away would suggest he is open to the idea.

We need him to run at defenders and make a decisive pass in the final 3rd. He currently does neither.
On the right he would do that but im starting to think jesus is better suited on that side.

He is not technically proficient enough for this team and his end product (other than the proverbial tap in) is usually atrocious.

I don’t know think he will stay and he will look for an out of contract pay day elsewhere, probably overseas.

I just can’t see him
Improving any of the Top 4 in this country, and he won’t want to go any lower than Top 6 at worst.

Someone in Europe will take a punt on him for free, but wages will be an issue, even on a free, unless it’s one of the biggest names.

I wish he could have improved his touch over the last year or two, but his body appears to be able to move quicker than his brain can work to get his head and feet on the same page, His first touch is even sub-Dzeko, and the decrement is highlighted further by the skill and technique of players like Mahrez, Grealish and Bernardo, all of whom can stop a ball on a dime from almost anywhere.

I can’t deny his effort, and he is quite adept at running defenders back into their box. However, from there he usually needs to go down from a stray leg, because he doesn’t shoot on sight and his passing under pressure is usually dire.

I hope he can improve this year in both control and finishing, but it’s been 5 years and he hasn’t to this point. Sure, he’s our Sniffer (nod to Allan Clarke), but even that’s not a guarantee because of his first touch!

I wish him well and hope he is a revelation this season. Sadly, I dint think he will, it’ll lead to more bench time, and no reason to sign a new deal just yet!

He is not technically proficient enough for this team and his end product (other than the proverbial tap in) is usually atrocious.

I don’t know think he will stay and he will look for an out of contract pay day elsewhere, probably overseas.

I just can’t see him
Improving any of the Top 4 in this country, and he won’t want to go any lower than Top 6 at worst.

Someone in Europe will take a punt on him for free, but wages will be an issue, even on a free, unless it’s one of the biggest names.

I wish he could have improved his touch over the last year or two, but his body appears to be able to move quicker than his brain can work to get his head and feet on the same page, His first touch is even sub-Dzeko, and the decrement is highlighted further by the skill and technique of players like Mahrez, Grealish and Bernardo, all of whom can stop a ball on a dime from almost anywhere.

I can’t deny his effort, and he is quite adept at running defenders back into their box. However, from there he usually needs to go down from a stray leg, because he doesn’t shoot on sight and his passing under pressure is usually dire.

I hope he can improve this year in both control and finishing, but it’s been 5 years and he hasn’t to this point. Sure, he’s our Sniffer (nod to Allan Clarke), but even that’s not a guarantee because of his first touch!

I wish him well and hope he is a revelation this season. Sadly, I dint think he will, it’ll lead to more bench time, and no reason to sign a new deal just yet!

115 goals for the club so far, so must be doing something right. Really not sure why "tap-in" is used so derogatively when it comes to Sterling. The finish is simple because of the work you do to make it simple, and he's still excellent at that.

Obviously he does have fairly pronounced weaknesses in his game, but his strengths still make him a very dangerous player.

The question is whether we are set up to make best use of his strengths and mitigate his weaknesses. We used to be, but I don't really think we are right now.

115 goals for the club so far, so must be doing something right. Really not sure why "tap-in" is used so derogatively when it comes to Sterling. The finish is simple because of the work you do to make it simple, and he's still excellent at that.

Obviously he does have fairly pronounced weaknesses in his game, but his strengths still make him a very dangerous player.

The question is whether we are set up to make best use of his strengths and mitigate his weaknesses. We used to be, but I don't really think we are right now.

This is the key - and I think the Euros confirmed what we suspected. Sterling's greatest asset is his movement off the ball and his ability to find space. 80-90%+ of the time, we are playing against packed defences and even top teams like Chelsea now adopt that style along with a fast counterattack to undo us. He struggles greatly in that scenario.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.