#7 | Raheem Sterling - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the key - and I think the Euros confirmed what we suspected. Sterling's greatest asset is his movement off the ball and his ability to find space. 80-90%+ of the time, we are playing against packed defences and even top teams like Chelsea now adopt that style along with a fast counterattack to undo us. He struggles greatly in that scenario.

Ah yes, no one ever parked the bus against us from 2017-2020.

Its amazing what people will write sometimes to try and force reality to fit their narrative.

Sterling scored the vast majority of those 115 goals against packed defences.

Ah yes, no one ever parked the bus against us from 2017-2020.

Its amazing what people will write sometimes to try and force reality to fit their narrative.

Sterling scored the vast majority of those 115 goals against packed defences.
Our style of play has changed a lot since the Centurions season. The core elements of keep possession, move the ball, search for space behind the opposition line remain. But firstly, the pace has slowed significantly - we no longer have Sane and Sterling bombing down the wings. Secondly, we often now play with inverted wingers (Sterling and Mahrez in particular) which makes the field of play narrower and there is much less space. Neither of these plays to Sterling's strength and potentially as a result of this, he seems to have lost a lot of confidence taking defenders on 1-on-1. In those situations, the best we seem to get is a corner. The Scouser game at Anfield was an exception last year where Sterling was very effective and took apart TAA - but they clearly had a more open set-up, and he is one of the worst defenders in any top side.

I didn't think this needed mentioning, but I will.

Speed and positioning are ALSO useful against a packed defense, come on guys...

I remember that tight 1-0 against Rafa's Newcastle which was settled by a pinpoint De Bruyne ball over the top for Sterling's run and finish as a great example of this. That movement and acceleration was the difference against possibly the most negative team we faced that season

I can’t see him doing anything other than running down his contract and leaving on a free in 2023. He will be 28 and able to command a huge signing on fee wherever he goes. Might end up at PSG when Messi’s contract is up

115 goals for the club so far, so must be doing something right. Really not sure why "tap-in" is used so derogatively when it comes to Sterling. The finish is simple because of the work you do to make it simple, and he's still excellent at that.

Obviously he does have fairly pronounced weaknesses in his game, but his strengths still make him a very dangerous player.

The question is whether we are set up to make best use of his strengths and mitigate his weaknesses. We used to be, but I don't really think we are right now.
Bold is spot on.

He's a #9.

I can’t see him doing anything other than running down his contract and leaving on a free in 2023. He will be 28 and able to command a huge signing on fee wherever he goes. Might end up at PSG when Messi’s contract is up
Which would be fair enough, same as it was for Milner.

Sign a contract, fulfil it, leave. Seems alright to me.

As long as they fulfil their contract with an acceptable level of performance and commitment then no issues whatsoever. No problems with Milner on that score tbf, if was after he left that he started gobbing off

As long as he is upfront about his intentions, and doesn't lead the club up the garden path like that **** Milner,I agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.