#7 | Raheem Sterling - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the more pertinent example is the number of people who were absolutely convinced that Grealish was going to relegate Sterling to the bench whilst scoring tons of goals because he is supposedly technically a different level of player to Raz.

That's not a dig at Grealish either, just a reminder once again that real world football is totally different to fantasy football. Especially in our team, where you have to earn every single minute on the pitch.
Grealish will never score the amount of goals Sterling does, he simply does not have that skill set.

I think the more pertinent example is the number of people who were absolutely convinced that Grealish was going to relegate Sterling to the bench whilst scoring tons of goals because he is supposedly technically a different level of player to Raz.

That's not a dig at Grealish either, just a reminder once again that real world football is totally different to fantasy football. Especially in our team, where you have to earn every single minute on the pitch.
Say what you want about Sterling but he offers something none of our other forwards do and that's genuine pace in behind and his off the ball runs mean opposition defenders can never relax. It's such an important weapon to have in a squad because without it I think we become a lot easier to defend against. For example, early in the season we were obviously still playing our beautiful possession game and getting good results but we lacked a real goal threat. If we had persisted with a front three of Grealish - Foden - Jesus/Mahrez for a whole season, I think we'd have become a bit too predictable because those players are too samey. I don't think it's a coincidence that the goals are starting to flow a lot more now that Sterling appears to have regained his confidence.

Say what you want about Sterling but he offers something none of our other forwards do and that's genuine pace in behind and his off the ball runs mean opposition defenders can never relax. It's such an important weapon to have in a squad because without it I think we become a lot easier to defend against. For example, early in the season we were obviously still playing our beautiful possession game and getting good results but we lacked a real goal threat. If we had persisted with a front three of Grealish - Foden - Jesus/Mahrez for a whole season, I think we'd have become a bit too predictable because those players are a bit too samey. I don't think it's a coincidence that the goals are starting to flow a lot more now that Sterling appears to have regained his confidence.

Often times with Raz the problem with the criticism is that people tend to view what he brings through a very narrow prism. So it's like "oh well his first touch is shit" "he can't shoot" "he runs down blind alleys". Just lazy MOTD commentary which completely ignores the number of games/minutes he's played for the most demanding coach on the planet. The critiques refuse to acknowledge the characteristics he brings to the team which no one else can.

To be fair to Jack he's not alone. Mahrez, Bernardo, Foden, Torres, Jesus, Grealish & Palmer were all, according to this forum, supposed to come in and bench him because of their superior technical ability.

After 6 years you'd think people would realise there's something more important going on, but I'm sure Julian Alvarez will be the next nail in Sterling's coffin...for a month or 2.

Often times with Raz the problem with the criticism is that people tend to view what he brings through a very narrow prism. So it's like "oh well his first touch is shit" "he can't shoot" "he runs down blind alleys". Just lazy MOTD commentary which completely ignores the number of games/minutes he's played for the most demanding coach on the planet. The critiques refuse to acknowledge the characteristics he brings to the team which no one else can.
Apparently Guardiola requested we sign Sterling whilst he was still at Bayern and he's subsequently made more appearances than any other player during Pep's tenure. I think that says everything you need to know really. If the best coach in the world values him that highly, he must be doing something right.

Apparently Guardiola requested we sign Sterling whilst he was still at Bayern and he's subsequently made more appearances than any other player during Pep's tenure. I think that says everything you need to know really. If the best coach in the world values him that highly, he must be doing something right.

Even more than that, he's the most picked player by Pep ever. In all positions, across all clubs. Not a bad seal of approval, hey?

Saw the best and worst in a 5 minute spell, first he scores possibly the best goal he's scored for us with a world class effort then botches a simple pass to put mahrez clean through as we break with a 4v3 plays it behind both him and kdb. Will always be incredibly frustrating because of this but when he's confident and scoring everything else can be ignored. Class tonight will be big for us for the remainder of the season.
That will invariably happen when you play a right footed player on the left. He was coming over from the left centre and any natural left footer gets that off easily.

Even more than that, he's the most picked player by Pep ever. In all positions, across all clubs. Not a bad seal of approval, hey?
Have those numbers been normalised, i.e. divided by the number of available games? If not a comparison with the Spanish club and FC Bayern wouldn't make sense.

Have those numbers been normalised, i.e. divided by the number of available games? If not a comparison with the Spanish club and FC Bayern wouldn't make sense.

No, and sure, that does make sense. But it still tells you something - that for a very long period of time Pep has consistently picked Sterling. That *is* proof that the greatest manager possibly ever rates him. It's City, he could have easily replaced him by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.