#7 | Raheem Sterling - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tell you what is hilarious Chicago and that is the line above from one of your recent posts. Particularly I like the line "he's not a Pep player" when Pep has consistently played him more more than any other forward season after season.

Premier League minutes ranking for City forwards:

16/17 2537 mins - 1st (KDB, Silva)
17/18 2594 mins - 1st (KDB)
18/19 2788 mins - 1st (Bernardo)
19/20 2678 mins - 1st (KDB)
20/21 2539 mins - 1st (No one)
21/22 1412 mins - 1st (Bernardo)

- name in brackets is for AMs only who had higher minutes

Maybe Sterling's technical skill set is is not as important as you think, eh? Certainly, whilst I'm sure Pep is frustrated at times he is less bothered than you.
And that’s fine.

I don’t have a problem holding a viewpoint with which others don’t agree. I can only go on what I see and believe, and will attempt to explain and defend those assertions.

While he certainly brings certain qualities to the team, I believe he also has glaring decrements….and he’s not the only one.

Cancelo has been a revelation this season, but I think he is often wasteful and attempts too many low percentage, thread the needle balls. That’s not to say he’s shit and I want him sold!

And that’s fine.

I don’t have a problem holding a viewpoint with which others don’t agree. I can only go on what I see and believe, and will attempt to explain and defend those assertions.

While he certainly brings certain qualities to the team, I believe he also has glaring decrements….and he’s not the only one.

Cancelo has been a revelation this season, but I think he is often wasteful and attempts too many low percentage, thread the needle balls. That’s not to say he’s shit and I want him sold!
Once you make peace with the fact that he will often drive you crazy but his overall impact with us outweighs the perceived weaknesses in his game you come to appreciate him more.
Same with Cancelo. You either accept his game is risk and reward or you don’t.
Nobody can force anybody to choose how to support a player or decide for them what’s right or wrong but in the cold light of day Sterling has been one of our best ever signings.

Once you make peace with the fact that he will often drive you crazy but his overall impact with us outweighs the perceived weaknesses in his game you come to appreciate him more.
Same with Cancelo. You either accept his game is risk and reward or you don’t.
Nobody can force anybody to choose how to support a player or decide for them what’s right or wrong but in the cold light of day Sterling has been one of our best ever signings.
I think that’s fair for you to say.

As City fans we are spoiled by the quality we see on the field. It is in that context, and the current contract situation, where he’s apparently looking for a long term KDB-sized deal, that this dissection of his play and performances began and continued.

I don’t think he is a bad player and would probably walk into any team in the Prem with the possible exception of Liverpool (vs Mané).

However, I stand by my assertions, especially when compared to the technical quality of others in the team/squad.

I enjoy reading opinions, even when I might disagree with them. In fact, I thought that was what this Forum was about. Heck, just look at the “Best City Shirt” threads, Barm or Muffin, and the ever popular “Our socks should always be navy…it’s our ‘istree!” threads!

;-)

I think that’s fair for you to say.

As City fans we are spoiled by the quality we see on the field. It is in that context, and the current contract situation, where he’s apparently looking for a long term KDB-sized deal, that this dissection of his play and performances began and continued.

I don’t think he is a bad player and would probably walk into any team in the Prem with the possible exception of Liverpool (vs Mané).

However, I stand by my assertions, especially when compared to the technical quality of others in the team/squad.

I enjoy reading opinions, even when I might disagree with them. In fact, I thought that was what this Forum was about. Heck, just look at the “Best City Shirt” threads, Barm or Muffin, and the ever popular “Our socks should always be navy…it’s our ‘istree!” threads!

;-)
As it stands I wouldn’t be gutted if he decided against a new contract and moved on. On the flip side I would be happy to see him stay as well so I suppose I’m kind of on the fence regarding that side.

Superb strike last night, undroppable at the moment, hopefully that contract extension is signed soon.

Tbh, I don’t see what Pep sees in him. He’s not a Pep player, because he is the most technically inferior player on the team.

The three worst players technically in the squad - Sterling, Walker, Dias.

Aka The most used player and biggest goal scorer, the guy the entire structure of the team is built around, and the man who has come in and made the defence a unit and lead to us conceding fewer goals than any City side.

I think your concept of a Pep player is outdated. It’s mental, not technical.

Last edited:
The three worst players technically in the squad - Sterling, Walker, Dias.

Aka The most used player and biggest goal scorer, the guy the entire structure of the team is built around, and the man who has come in and made the defence a unit and lead to us conceding fewer goals than any City side.

I think your concept of a Pep player is outdated. It’s mental, not technical.

Sorta overlooks the fact that someone literally has to be the worst technically. That's how it works. You can't all be the best. It doesn't matter though if you're weaker than Gundogan or Bernardo at passing, as long as you have other exceptional attributes to make up for it, which all those three do. Individually they all have something unique to their game. Walker is possibly the most impressive defender (not fullback, defender fullstop) in world football and a freak of nature physically, Sterling the only real consistent dribbler in our squad, with an incredible sense of movement and awareness of where he needs to be to score. Dias a natural born leader and a genuine warrior that inspires others. More than makes up for their lesser technique, which is still more than fine obviously, otherwise they'd literally not be in a Pep side fullstop.

It seems that it’s all or nothing on here: Sterling is brilliant or shit!

To be honest, there's too much to unpack in this comment for what time I currently have but I'd like to point out that this specific line, no offence intended, is the biggest load of shite of the lot.

Even I, as one of the most incessant defenders of Raheem over the last couple of years, have often pointed out flaws and bad performances throughout his career.

There is plenty of middle ground between the two extremes but, for whatever reason, those who fall on the negative side consistently claim that those who recognise his continued contributions to the club are incapable of seeing those imperfections.

Which is interesting because, at least from where I'm sitting, the only ones who can't accept any nuance are the ones who consistently overblow his shortcomings, ignore the importance of his rather unique skillset and make grandiose, yet hollow statements like "he's not a Pep player" despite all evidence, including statistical, proving otherwise.

And that’s fine.

And that's fine as well...

But you say he is not a Pep player when Pep clearly demonstrates he is by consistently playing him more than any other forward for 6 years on the bounce...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.