#7 | Raheem Sterling - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think your concept of a Pep player is outdated. It’s mental, not technical.
They go together, especially in certain field positions, which is why the lack of outstanding technical ability can be a frustration at times.

Fwiw, I think Dias is a good defender, but he is far from the finished article. That he makes it into Top XI teams is as much media hype as it is how easily he flirted into the City team and had a few outstanding, high profile games. But, that’s for another day!

And that's fine as well...

But you say he is not a Pep player when Pep clearly demonstrates he is by consistently playing him more than any other forward for 6 years on the bounce...
Well, he is demonstrably chosen. That’s irrefutable. Perhaps I should have put ”Pep player” in inverted commas?

I meant it in much the same way that Pep said he wishes he had 11 Fernandinhos, and that Rodri, Bernardo and Mahrez are thought of so highly and perform so well.

That’s hilarious! And, if you don’t know why, I can’t help you.
Because you literally just said that Sterling was frustrating because he gave the ball away too much, but have no such criticism for de Bruyne, who gave the ball away nearly 3 times as often?

Yeah it is quite funny.

The whole “positional” argument is weak as fuck because a “striker” as you call Sterling or a winger as he is in reality, both call for the player to give the ball away more than a number 8.

Well, he is demonstrably chosen. That’s irrefutable. Perhaps I should have put ”Pep player” in inverted commas?

I meant it in much the same way that Pep said he wishes he had 11 Fernandinhos, and that Rodri, Bernardo and Mahrez are thought of so highly and perform so well.
You realise Pep doesn’t share your opinion of Sterling? Pep thinks very highly of Sterling and he is performing incredibly right now. 6 years as a key man and the trust is so obvious a blind man could see it.

You just may be a bit too blinkered to see that.

Because you literally just said that Sterling was frustrating because he gave the ball away too much, but have no such criticism for de Bruyne, who gave the ball away nearly 3 times as often?

Yeah it is quite funny.

The whole “positional” argument is weak as fuck because a “striker” as you call Sterling or a winger as he is in reality, both call for the player to give the ball away more than a number 8.
I called Sterling a winger. KDB plays a completely different game, and an integral part of his game is scrapping for and with the ball in the middle of the park AND attempting the “in behind the defence” killer pass.

I’m not here to argue the toss and respect your opinion that KDB is a more wasteful player in key positions than Sterling. I respectfully disagree and believe KDB is world class in his midfield 8 position.

Do you believe Sterling is a world class left winger?

“Weak as fuck” positionally speaking, of course.

You realise Pep doesn’t share your opinion of Sterling? Pep thinks very highly of Sterling and he is performing incredibly right now. 6 years as a key man and the trust is so obvious a blind man could see it.

You just may be a bit too blinkered to see that.
Trust?
Is THAT why he sat him down for an extended period? And, you do realize an integral part of Pep’s job is to big up his players, right?

Blinkered?
If I hadn’t given chapter and verse of reasons, I might understand it, but….whatever!

People on here talk about Mahrez having the best first touch in football. How do you feel about Sterling in that regard? It’s one thing I have mentioned as an indication of his lack of technical prowess.

That said, when he does lose the ball, he is usually a fighter who battles back and has greatly improved his defensive abilities.

One on one…how do you fancy him?

Penalties? No, me, either!

None of this suggests he shouldn’t get a game or that he can’t slot in goals from inside the 6 yard box and curl the occasional worldie in when he comes inside on his right foot!

I’m happy as a clam when he plays well and always hope he will have a great game and bag a few. ALWAYS, because I’m a City fan first, rather than any single player.

I think there might be enough room for both opinions and I will ALWAYS cheer for him when he wears a City shirt.

I called Sterling a winger. KDB plays a completely different game, and an integral part of his game is scrapping for and with the ball in the middle of the park AND attempting the “in behind the defence” killer pass.

I’m not here to argue the toss and respect your opinion that KDB is a more wasteful player in key positions than Sterling. I respectfully disagree and believe KDB is world class in his midfield 8 position.

Do you believe Sterling is a world class left winger?
Yes

Trust?
Is THAT why he sat him down for an extended period? And, you do realize an integral part of Pep’s job is to big up his players, right?

Blinkered?
If I hadn’t given chapter and verse of reasons, I might understand it, but….whatever!

People on here talk about Mahrez having the best first touch in football. How do you feel about Sterling in that regard? It’s one thing I have mentioned as an indication of his lack of technical prowess.

That said, when he does lose the ball, he is usually a fighter who battles back and has greatly improved his defensive abilities.

One on one…how do you fancy him?

Penalties? No, me, either!

None of this suggests he shouldn’t get a game or that he can’t slot in goals from inside the 6 yard box and curl the occasional worldie in when he comes inside on his right foot!

I’m happy as a clam when he plays well and always hope he will have a great game and bag a few. ALWAYS, because I’m a City fan first, rather than any single player.

I think there might be enough room for both opinions and I will ALWAYS cheer for him when he wears a City shirt.
Never fancied David Silva on penalties either. Or one on ones.

Sterling, contrary to popular belief, actually has a very good first touch. Not the level of Mahrez, Bernardo and Foden but they are some of the best in world football.

The three worst players technically in the squad - Sterling, Walker, Dias.

Aka The most used player and biggest goal scorer, the guy the entire structure of the team is built around, and the man who has come in and made the defence a unit and lead to us conceding fewer goals than any City side.

I think your concept of a Pep player is outdated. It’s mental, not technical.
Never thought about that, but it's a brilliant point

None of them are overly poor technically for their positions. But they certainly are the weakest players in the squad in that regard and dont jump out as Pep players

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.