#7 | Raheem Sterling - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you not think it is more to do with the role being asked of him for England is more suited to his skills, hence why he produces better performances internationally?
Its this new system we play he doesn't suit it at all on the left. Hes better on the right but jesus and mahrez are a problem for him on that side. Grealish and foden are better than him on left.

Do you not think it is more to do with the role being asked of him for England is more suited to his skills, hence why he produces better performances internationally?
I don't really think he does.

I posted here just yesterday, that for three seasons he was our most productive player with over 40 goals+assists each season. That's in a team that is full of amazing players.

There's no argument that he dropped off in the latter half of last season - but he still produced more goals+assists than anyone bar De Bruyne - and he was ahead of Kev from open play contributions. Bear in mind that he wins so many of our penalties, he's even more valuable to the team. (My theory last year was that he'd played at such a high level for so long, and was putting in a LOT more minutes than our other forwards, that he just hit a bit of a wall after the back to back seasons and the effort needed early in the season when we were struggling).

It's clear he's always going to split opinions, but his contribution to the team should put him in the category of all time City greats. Is there anyone else who could do as much without getting the credit?

Its this new system we play he doesn't suit it at all on the left. Hes better on the right but jesus and mahrez are a problem for him on that side. Grealish and foden are better than him on left.
As you say, there are better players both sides now and competition for either wing is very strong.

Unless Pep is willing to play Sterling centrally, I can only see more bench time this season.

I don't really think he does.

I posted here just yesterday, that for three seasons he was our most productive player with over 40 goals+assists each season. That's in a team that is full of amazing players.

There's no argument that he dropped off in the latter half of last season - but he still produced more goals+assists than anyone bar De Bruyne - and he was ahead of Kev from open play contributions. Bear in mind that he wins so many of our penalties, he's even more valuable to the team. (My theory last year was that he'd played at such a high level for so long, and was putting in a LOT more minutes than our other forwards, that he just hit a bit of a wall after the back to back seasons and the effort needed early in the season when we were struggling).

It's clear he's always going to split opinions, but his contribution to the team should put him in the category of all time City greats. Is there anyone else who could do as much without getting the credit?
I don't watch England but by what I read on here, he had a storming Euros. Does that not negate the overplayed argument?

As you say, there are better players both sides now and competition for either wing is very strong.

Unless Pep is willing to play Sterling centrally, I can only see more bench time this season.
I see him playing in the middle more rotating with torres so that should give him games. My only worry for him is torres seems to be a better finisher.torres also seems go be improving his runs very quickly.

I don't watch England but by what I read on here, he had a storming Euros. Does that not negate the overplayed argument?
I was thinking of up to Xmas - after that he wasn't in team anything like as much as he usually would be, so he was rested and raring to go by the time the Euros came around.

I see him playing in the middle more rotating with torres so that should give him games. My only worry for him is torres seems to be a better finisher.torres also seems go be improving his runs very quickly.
I think Sterling gets so much stick for his finishing that it sticks in our minds, and becomes accepted fact, but I'm not sure he is that bad. I think Aguero is the best striker the PL has seen, yet if you had a drinking game for every time he missed and the commentator said "that's a collector's item" you'd spend most matches drunk.

I posted some stats recently in the "striker" thread, comparing his shots per goal with Kane and Ronaldo over the last three years (so that includes last year, when many thought Sterling was really poor). He came out top, however you sliced it. It's not a perfect comparison, but it does suggest he's not as wasteful as many imagine.

I think Sterling gets so much stick for his finishing that it sticks in our minds, and becomes accepted fact, but I'm not sure he is that bad. I think Aguero is the best striker the PL has seen, yet if you had a drinking game for every time he missed and the commentator said "that's a collector's item" you'd spend most matches drunk.

I posted some stats recently in the "striker" thread, comparing his shots per goal with Kane and Ronaldo over the last three years (so that includes last year, when many thought Sterling was really poor). He came out top, however you sliced it. It's not a perfect comparison, but it does suggest he's not as wasteful as many imagine.
I think it would become more apparent if he plays in the middle. But we'll have to see how he gets on he has real competition for the spot with torres.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.