#7 | Raheem Sterling - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Sterling gets so much stick for his finishing that it sticks in our minds, and becomes accepted fact, but I'm not sure he is that bad. I think Aguero is the best striker the PL has seen, yet if you had a drinking game for every time he missed and the commentator said "that's a collector's item" you'd spend most matches drunk.

I posted some stats recently in the "striker" thread, comparing his shots per goal with Kane and Ronaldo over the last three years (so that includes last year, when many thought Sterling was really poor). He came out top, however you sliced it. It's not a perfect comparison, but it does suggest he's not as wasteful as many imagine.

Agree with all this.

But,but,but he only scores "proverbial tap-ins"...... yet his average shot distance since 17/18 is 14 yards. Meanwhile Kun was at 13.7 yards and Jesus just 11.5 yards.

As mentioned, this is the way I see our front 3 depth now:

Jack/Phil-----Ferran/Raz------Riyad/Gab

And it's a different option in each position, not just the same player.

Each wing has both a left and right footed player.

And the strikers differ in how they play with one being more on speed and the other more all rounded but slower.

It's pretty insane depth if you ask me. Whoever performs better in the following months will start the big games, the others will still get plenty of minutes, but maybe just not the biggest games.

If Kane came in I dont even know how Pep would have managed that depth, perhaps Jack or Phil would have joined the midfield.

As mentioned, this is the way I see our front 3 depth now:

Jack/Phil-----Ferran/Raz------Riyad/Gab

And it's a different option in each position, not just the same player.

Each wing has both a left and right footed player.

And the strikers differ in how they play with one being more on speed and the other more all rounded but slower.

It's pretty insane depth if you ask me. Whoever performs better in the following months will start the big games, the others will still get plenty of minutes, but maybe just not the biggest games.

If Kane came in I dont even know how Pep would have managed that depth, perhaps Jack or Phil would have joined the midfield.
Shit ton of fluidity available too. Foden, Jesus, Torres, and Sterling can all play anywhere across the front 3. Grealish and Mahrez can both play either wing if necessary, and they can both drop in centrally deeper in order to rotate with a midfielder (eg Gundogan or KDB).

Over the years the team has become increasingly fluid, so this line up of players (all with different skillsets as you've said) is as close to what he dreams about as possible.

Think Sterling is going to have to wait for his chance. Statistically speaking, it's likely that at least one of Grealish, Foden and De Bruyne will get a short to medium term injury at some point before Christmas. It might be that Raheem has to wait until then.

Stats from Transfermarkt..

In all comps for City:
295 apps - 115 g - 87 assists - 11 titles

I know he's not perfect and there are rumors he might even run down his contract but the man deserves his flowers. He's been a big part of the club's greatest era. Great return on the £44M or whatever we paid for him, I'd say.

Plus for those care about such things, I know the club does, he's been exemplary off the pitch as well.

Stats from Transfermarkt..

In all comps for City:
295 apps - 115 g - 87 assists - 11 titles

I know he's not perfect and there are rumors he might even run down his contract but the man deserves his flowers. He's been a big part of the club's greatest era. Great return on the £44M or whatever we paid for him, I'd say.

Plus for those care about such things, I know the club does, he's been exemplary off the pitch as well.

Especially because QPR got 20% of the transfer fee. Even if we paid the full £49M including add-ons, Liverpool still got less than £40M for Sterling.

That's roughly 25% of what they got for Coutinho.

What did the message under his shirt say?
He deserved a telling off for getting a silly yellow card. Not questioning his compassion for the sentiment, but as a star player for England he doesn't need a sending off and a ban. Even Mario had the sense to only half-lift his "Why Always Me".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.