#7 | Raheem Sterling - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
In buying Grealish we've effectively displaced Sterling.
I would say he's displaced Foden more than anything which seems like an unnecessary move as Foden was one of the best left sided forwards in Europe last season. We've improved our squad by adding Grealish but you could argue we've weakened our starting XI. It looks like Foden will play in midfield now but honesty I prefer him as a left forward.

After Raheem suffered years of abuse from the media and supporters of other clubs, it saddens me that we are heading in the same direction. He wasn’t the problem yesterday!
He was a problem yesterday (who wasn't?) but certainly not THE problem.

There were flashes of his ability, particularly in the first half. There was a moment where he took the ball in a tight spot, controlled it, turned and left his marker, then played a great diagonal pass. His movement was good as well.

Then in the second half we saw the frustrating side of his game, with his failure to control that ball from KDB and another good attack where his first touch was poor and his second, which should have been a shot on target, not much better.

There were flashes of his ability, particularly in the first half. There was a moment where he took the ball in a tight spot, controlled it, turned and left his marker, then played a great diagonal pass. His movement was good as well.

Then in the second half we saw the frustrating side of his game, with his failure to control that ball from KDB and another good attack where his first touch was poor and his second, which should have been a shot on target, not much better.
Yes, I agree, an analysis rather than a sweeping 'he's shit' post. But late in second half he made a great jinking run into the box from the left and was involved in what for a few seconds looked to be the winning goal. Fine margins. I'd rather back him than blame him.

After Raheem suffered years of abuse from the media and supporters of other clubs, it saddens me that we are heading in the same direction. He wasn’t the problem yesterday!
I've said this before but if the stuff written here about Sterling appeared in an edition of The Daily Mail the Media Thread would be filled with outrage.

Do you want sterling to start in the games against Chelsea and Liverpool ? I don’t want him near the first 11 if I’m being honest as in two league game he started we haven’t won . Now I’m not saying it’s all down to sterling because it’s not but when I saw him on the team sheet I knew we had a problem just really hope we don’t give him a new contract .

I've said this before but if the stuff written here about Sterling appeared in an edition of The Daily Mail the Media Thread would be filled with outrage.
I also think people are over-sensitive to things written about Sterling by our own fans, because of the Liverpool loving press giving him shit for daring to leave Liverpool. For a certain amount of time Sterling became someone many of our fans would not allow any negative comments about without having a go at people making observations. When others in our squad who get the same level of critique aren’t afforded the same lenience as Sterling.

For example, John Stones has half a dozen bad games spread out over two years and people want him sold because he’s shit and a liability and his head’s gone, and they’re agreed with or their opinions are passed by… Sterling plays well half a dozen times in two years and people say nicer things than are said about Stones like they like the lad and wish him well but think it’s time we parted ways, and people get on their backs and are told they shouldn’t be slagging Sterling off.

Do you want sterling to start in the games against Chelsea and Liverpool ? I don’t want him near the first 11 if I’m being honest as in two league game he started we haven’t won . Now I’m not saying it’s all down to sterling because it’s not but when I saw him on the team sheet I knew we had a problem just really hope we don’t give him a new contract .
and you must have been surprised when the actual problem was nobody could make a simple pass....or move...or tackle...or press....

He isn't a central striker. Pep switched it around at ht. He is either going to have to develop his game or move. I think he will move.

Grealish is a good player but we had 2 outstanding left sided forwards.
Who were the 2?

I wouldn't write him off just yet but I believe if you were to ask Raheem himself he would be disappointed with his current club form. I hope it's not a result of him not being first choice but the truth is margins at the elite level of the game are small between being a match winner and nothing you try coming off.

The next few games will tell us a lot and I think to get the best out of Raheem will be a test for Pep. Same could be said about Mahrez who didn't exactly alter the game yesterday. From where I sat only the introduction of Phil and Kev had a positive effect. One thing I do think though is we will see a positive reaction against Chelsea and I expect us to win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.