8 | Ilkay Gundogan - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hurts me to say it, but he was woeful.

Takes him 2 or 3 touches to get himself into the right position and turns like a double decker bus

Him and Kev together just doesn't work, both look leggy and don't give Rodri any support at all
This is the killer for me. We end up playing a midfield one. It’s a good job Rodri is the real deal.

Fucking hell he’s one of our best players almost every week, you lot will be eating your words just like when KDB was “done” and Stones was “done”.

Except Rodri, none of our midfield players have been playing decent football for the last 3-4 months..

Yep, KDB is delivering an assists, but in terms of midfield and movements and really dominating the midfield area - no one is contributing like the Rodri does.. So this is the big problem..

Hopefully KDB, Bernardo and Gundo will improve..

About Phillips I'm not sure we will get anything at least this season, but other ones have to, cause Rodri is a machine but, he has his limits and may burn out..

We won against the highest placed team in England, without ever losing control of the game, but apparently Gündogan can’t play against the big boys anymore?

Hurts me to say it, but he was woeful.

Takes him 2 or 3 touches to get himself into the right position and turns like a double decker bus

Him and Kev together just doesn't work, both look leggy and don't give Rodri any support at all

I think that's the crux of it.

Rodri is great but he's always needed someone beside him with energy. If the rest of the midfield is off, he'll be off too. I suspect that's why Pep has instructed Rico to tuck in, because he is capable at doing the running for Rodri.

While it might work against lower teams it just doesn't come off against the top opposition... Rodri ends up not putting his stamp on the game because the rest of the midfield is totally bypassed.

We need to play one of KDB or Gundo, and I am really thinking we try Grealish in the middle, he's got excellent control, runs his bollocks off and gives us a more direct option.

KBD - Gundo played a huge role against Aston Villa in those last 10-15 minutes, so it's not completely true, that this duo doesn't work..

I would say, against lower table teams or when you definitely have to score, that's the best midfield duo we can use..

But against tougher opponents, you need someone like Bernardo to handle the pressure and keep the ball, make good build-ups..

Ideally, if Pep used Rodri-Bernardo + Grealish as a LCM and Foden as a LW - would be very interesting to watch that team and how Jack does in that area... But it's more likely Pep will use Foden in midfield, than Jack :D

Reason is Jack's poor defensive contribution. Great at keeping the ball, but in overall Jack is our worst player defensively..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.