80 | Cole Palmer - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a big fan but Pep was right to say that he did some things well and needed to improve some things. He scored a cracker, played a sublimely weighted pass but also lost the ball 2 or 3 times while in possession. I remember Pep saying the same things about Phil and if Cole listens, which he seems to, he has a very bright future. The chance of another local Academy player truly making it is a joy.

Last edited:
Both made the right choice at the time. Pep's attitude to youth players has evolved since but Sancho left in 2017, only a year after Pep arrived. Back then chances for youth players were basically impossible to come by, Foden only made his first league start almost two years later. I think Brahim saw enough in his limited minutes to understand that he wasn't good enough for us yet and that he needed to go somewhere where gametime was easier to come across so he could improve. Not sure either deserve the vitriol you're giving them and I don't think either decision had anything to do with money either.
I agree with Sancho, but there is no way Diaz thought Real Madrid would be a place for him to get more, easier game time. He would have known he had equal chances at City as he would get in Madrid. That being said I'm not sure anyone can really blame a Spanish teenager for wanting to join Real Madrid when the opportunity arose.

I agree with Sancho, but there is no way Diaz thought Real Madrid would be a place for him to get more, easier game time. He would have known he had equal chances at City as he would get in Madrid. That being said I'm not sure anyone can really blame a Spanish teenager for wanting to join Real Madrid when the opportunity arose.

Eh, would he? Loads of players come through Madrid's youth academy to get proper first-team minutes and then sometimes switch to other big clubs (Morata, Nacho, Vazquez, Jese, Marcos Llorente, Hakimi, Reguilon). They definitely have a more active approach to bringing through young players compared to us who are more "we'll play you if you're so good that we can't possibly ignore you".

Not saying one approach is better than the other, but I definitely think City is harder to break into than Madrid, and even more so back then (especially as Pep has openly said he prefers a very small squad).

Eh, would he? Loads of players come through Madrid's youth academy to get proper first-team minutes and then sometimes switch to other big clubs (Morata, Nacho, Vazquez, Jese, Marcos Llorente, Hakimi, Reguilon). They definitely have a more active approach to bringing through young players compared to us who are more "we'll play you if you're so good that we can't possibly ignore you".

Not saying one approach is better than the other, but I definitely think City is harder to break into than Madrid, and even more so back then (especially as Pep has openly said he prefers a very small squad).
Firstly, Brahim didn't come through the Real academy. Like United, Real give a lot more leniency to players who come through La Fábrica/Castilla.

Secondly he played 21 times over the 18 months he spent in Madrid. Surely a similar amount he would have gotten at City considering the previous 18 months he'd had 14 City apps at a younger age.

I think you are somewhat right that it is easier to break into the team at Madrid but not by much. Brahim's move to Madrid was hardly comparable to Sancho's in that way.

Sancho moved at 17 and played 55 games by the end of his second season (mostly starts), while Diaz had played 21 games (mostly subs). Sancho's move made perfect sense in terms of game time, Brahim's move was very much a sideways step in that sense.

He has a lot to learn especially out of possession but he's a talent for sure.

When he dropped into the pockets he looked dangerous.

Of the three that started the game up top he was the best of all them, which not only shows he did ok but also shows what a fucking waste of space the other two are.

A very talented boy who could go very far indeed. He has touch, composure, vision, and finishing ability and is still a teenager. Good luck to the lad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.