80 | Cole Palmer - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has this Ozil / DiMaria style that works very well for him. He just needs to pick up the pace a bit and he would easily replace Mahrez next season.
I agree. He also needs to become more assertive on the ball and tactically aware because Cole plays a bit too relaxed at the moment, but I'm sure he'll improve with further experience in the team.

Milner is no spring chicken, but Milner also had Foden in his back pocket at Anfield in the league game
Milner played very well in that game and had learnt from the previous Anfield game where foden had roasted him and he should have seen red

the recent game he was very aggressive in pressing rodent as soon as he got the ball and didn’t give him any room to play with

Foden should haven been looking for the ball in behind instead of to feet to negate this and I think this is where Peps safety first tactics negated his influence

With Palmer, I've thought the opposite, I think he's got an elegance about his game where he just glides past defenders. Don't get me wrong, Milner is no spring chicken, but Milner also had Foden in his back pocket at Anfield in the league game, but couldn't get anywhere near Palmer.
IIRC there was a game where Foden terrorized Milner, the one where Milner should've been sent off. Every player gets their off-days.

I agree. He also needs to become more assertive on the ball and tactically aware because Cole plays a bit too relaxed at the moment, but I'm sure he'll improve with further experience in the team.
Yeah the urgency isn't there but I guess that's because that responsibility to create chances or score goals hasn't been placed on him yet, right now Pep wants him to play just to get some game time and experience with no actual demands or expectations.

You do realise Foden almost retired Milner 12 months earlier at Anfield don’t you? A year on Milner has completely fallen off a cliff. As much as blues now hate him( i was never a fan when he played for us) but there is no denying he’s had a really good career. It’s hard to believe Foden wasn’t playing to instruction this season at Anfield to keep the ball this season against them because he’s miles quicker than Palmer.

I’m a big fan of Palmer by the way but i’ll bet you anything there is no chance Palmer is quick enough to make it long term in the premier league with his style of play as a left sided attacker. Yet against a 36/37 year old Milner he was looking like a 22 year old Sane against a geriatric ex midfielder.
You don't need to be 'quick' to play at the highest level

Palmer has an effortless ability to go past defenders in the way a lot of great players were able to, without being incredibly quick

Amazing that you think a player has to be 'quick enough' to play in the Premier league

You don't need to be 'quick' to play at the highest level

Palmer has an effortless ability to go past defenders in the way a lot of great players were able to, without being incredibly quick

Amazing that you think a player has to be 'quick enough' to play in the Premier league
Ricky Holden could beat a man, but then they would just catch him and take the ball of him. Pace is almost essential for an attacking play, if you haven't got it then you have to be excellent at everything else.

Ricky Holden could beat a man, but then they would just catch him and take the ball of him. Pace is almost essential for an attacking play, if you haven't got it then you have to be excellent at everything else.
Pace is pointless if you haven't got the end product, its rare to see a player have both

Given that none of our wingers have blistering pace, I'd say Palmer fits perfectly fine given that he seems to go past the defender quite smoothly like he did when he came on last night

Pace is pointless if you haven't got the end product, its rare to see a player have both

Given that none of our wingers have blistering pace, I'd say Palmer fits perfectly fine given that he seems to go past the defender quite smoothly like he did when he came on last night

Depends on position to some extent, doesn't it? Merlin could glide past a player or two, and did it many times. He didn't need pace to get away (which he never had) because there was rarely a clear sight to goal ahead of him. He would do it to clear space for himself to make the killer pass, to people like Sergio.
When you're on the wing, I think it's a bit different. You do need some pace, it seems to me because, having once beaten your player, you're heading for the goal-line as often as not, to cut the ball back away from the keeper and create general havoc. You don't want your full back recovering, catching you, and then jockeying you into passing the ball harmlessly inside to a midfielder who's not actually in a better position to do something. When Sané was at his best that was what he was doing, over and over. Especially in the 17-18 season. It was incredibly exciting to watch, and also very effective. We haven't had a winger with Sané's pace since he left. Phil's about the nippiest, probably.
Navas had it in spades in his first season with us. Don't quite know what happened to him after that. He was going outside his marker and beating him for fun, again and again. That allowed him to get clean crosses in. After that season, he was constantly getting caught and blocked by his full back.

Last edited:
I think he needs to be starting games and getting used to playing more. I think it would make a big difference and allow him to gain confidence/ get used to playing.

At the moment it’s very difficult for him as he’s always in and out of the team. I think he has the talent to start ahead of someone like mahrez and to start the odd prem game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.