80 | Cole Palmer - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think Cole is on the cusp of becoming more of a first team 'regular'. The injury definitely set him back, but I think what he needs to truly make the jump is that definitive, quality performance in a first team start where he doesn't look out of place. Until then it'll be cup matches and sub appearances. That's how Phil finally broke in (I think against Spurs??) a few years back, Rico might have just had his against Liverpool. Hopefully he gets a shot and takes it soon.

I think he'd already have had it if he was given regular time as a RW. He's often asked to play LW or centrally instead though. Genuinely think at this stage he'd be more effective than Mahrez. In fact, I *know* he would. He beats people for fun when on the right.

I think he'd already have had it if he was given regular time as a RW. He's often asked to play LW or centrally instead though. Genuinely think at this stage he'd be more effective than Mahrez. In fact, I *know* he would. He beats people for fun when on the right.
That's a good point that I missed, he's almost exclusively been played out of position this year. I don't doubt for a second he'd have been more useful then Riyad on the RW. I'm guessing Pep is trying to play Mahrez into form but I wonder how long his patience will last?

Think Cole is on the cusp of becoming more of a first team 'regular'. The injury definitely set him back, but I think what he needs to truly make the jump is that definitive, quality performance in a first team start where he doesn't look out of place. Until then it'll be cup matches and sub appearances. That's how Phil finally broke in (I think against Spurs??) a few years back, Rico might have just had his against Liverpool. Hopefully he gets a shot and takes it soon.
His injury definitely set him back.

I think he’s had two of those performances where he doesn’t look out of place in our team this season. It wasn’t a start but he came on at half time against Copenhagen at home and ran their left back ragged. And he started against Liverpool at home in the EFL Cup and was excellent.

Neither particularly big games as they are early rounds of the Cup, but they were big games for Palmer and he was excellent in both.

His injury definitely set him back.

I think he’s had two of those performances where he doesn’t look out of place in our team this season. It wasn’t a start but he came on at half time against Copenhagen at home and ran their left back ragged. And he started against Liverpool at home in the EFL Cup and was excellent.

Neither particularly big games as they are early rounds of the Cup, but they were big games for Palmer and he was excellent in both.
Yes, I agree completely. I just posted on the main forum about the perception that Palmer appears to be a little bit overlooked by the manager and even the fans. He's hardly getting a mention as a genuine option to improve our wide play in the final third. He's 21 in a few months and you'd really hope that he starts to get a bit more meaningful game time soon. I still think he can be a star.

Ok - I have to say I’m not convinced by this lad at all ( hope I’m proved wrong - really do ).

There is no doubt he has all the ability required - but his application and decision making is not of the standard required.

And currently his work rate is way way below the level needed to be breaking into this Manchester City team on a regular basis.

He has to grasp his opportunities when they come along - and I’ve yet to seen him do that in the way Rico Lewis has

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.