80 | Cole Palmer - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went on the record numerous times saying that I didn't think Foden would ever be good enough for City, as I just didn't see enough from his game in those early days

With Palmer, I've thought the opposite, I think he's got an elegance about his game where he just glides past defenders. Don't get me wrong, Milner is no spring chicken, but Milner also had Foden in his back pocket at Anfield in the league game, but couldn't get anywhere near Palmer.

Maybe I'll end up being wrong on both counts. Both are very good players who should be at City for years.

Only got a few minutes on the RW but still made a goal scoring chance at the end with his tricky dribbling.

Kind of hoped he would finish it than pass but not his fault his teammate couldn't finish it.

Looks a nightmare to play against when he’s on the ball.

The only really “negative” right now his decision making seems a bit hesitant. Seems to hang on to the ball a split second too long at times before releasing the ball or having a go. Those split seconds at this level allows defenders to set themselves for a block or get in position.

I’m sure that’ll come with experience on confidence though. You can see the talent it there. He’s a bit raw in some ways but I think that’s part of what makes him tricky too. If they can keep the part of him that makes him a handful and refine the rest, he’ll be some player.

Without sounding like a Daily Mirror journalist but would it not be better for him to get 5 months of regular game time elsewhere in Jan? Somewhere like Girona?

I get the notion that it’s better to be in and around the first team and can point to the development of Foden as proof but each player is different.

People will look at the main stats and say that at 20 years of age he’s played 14 games this season, but he’s only had 401 mins in those games, an average of 28 mins, that can’t be good for his development?

I went on the record numerous times saying that I didn't think Foden would ever be good enough for City, as I just didn't see enough from his game in those early days

With Palmer, I've thought the opposite, I think he's got an elegance about his game where he just glides past defenders. Don't get me wrong, Milner is no spring chicken, but Milner also had Foden in his back pocket at Anfield in the league game, but couldn't get anywhere near Palmer.

Maybe I'll end up being wrong on both counts. Both are very good players who should be at City for years.
You do realise Foden almost retired Milner 12 months earlier at Anfield don’t you? A year on Milner has completely fallen off a cliff. As much as blues now hate him( i was never a fan when he played for us) but there is no denying he’s had a really good career. It’s hard to believe Foden wasn’t playing to instruction this season at Anfield to keep the ball this season against them because he’s miles quicker than Palmer.

I’m a big fan of Palmer by the way but i’ll bet you anything there is no chance Palmer is quick enough to make it long term in the premier league with his style of play as a left sided attacker. Yet against a 36/37 year old Milner he was looking like a 22 year old Sane against a geriatric ex midfielder.

You do realise Foden almost retired Milner 12 months earlier at Anfield don’t you? A year on Milner has completely fallen off a cliff. As much as blues now hate him( i was never a fan when he played for us) but there is no denying he’s had a really good career. It’s hard to believe Foden wasn’t playing to instruction this season at Anfield to keep the ball this season against them because he’s miles quicker than Palmer.

I’m a big fan of Palmer by the way but i’ll bet you anything there is no chance Palmer is quick enough to make it long term in the premier league with his style of play as a left sided attacker. Yet against a 36/37 year old Milner he was looking like a 22 year old Sane against a geriatric ex midfielder.
Fortunately, he has far more in his locker than pace, and once he has a yard, he can do a lot with the ball.

Fortunately, he has far more in his locker than pace, and once he has a yard, he can do a lot with the ball.
I’m not disputing that but he’s very similar to Mahrez. Now if he has half the career Mahrez has had in the Premier League he’ll be doing very well. However, Mahrez would struggle as a left sided attacker

I’m not disputing that but he’s very similar to Mahrez. Now if he has half the career Mahrez has had in the Premier League he’ll be doing very well. However, Mahrez would struggle as a left sided attacker
I cannot argue with that. I suspect Cole will be better centrally, but this is all part of the education.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.