82 | Rico Lewis - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.

I am surprised so many don't want the loan for him. The alternative is losing him & Oscar like it happened with Cole.

Other than getting more minutes, I don’t see the benefit of a loan for him. He can play in this City side because we have 70% possession every week and don’t do much defending. I can’t see many other managers trusting him to play at RB or CDM every week, especially if he ends up in a struggling team. He would be better off staying here, 20 games a season and having people say he’s a good young player.

If he goes somewhere else, there is also a fair chance that he comes back to a new City manager and would have to restart his City career.

I never said they would but if we go out and sign Kimmich and Frimpong and keep Walker for example then surely Rico himself has got to think a 12mth loan to a good club is better than nothing. He comes across an intelligent lad so lets see what happens.
My point is, he's not been told anything.
So I doubt the club would leak it without doing so.
And he's entirely happy the way things have gone.

Or not as happened with Foden
Foden is unique, as talented as all our other academy products have been none had Fodens ability,and maybe his patience. Not loaning didn’t work with Palmer, getting the right loans so they can develop into to the best they can be is the only way other than sell with buy backs but that path doesn’t seem to have worked with anyone either.

Or not as happened with Foden
Foden is 1 in a million talent. I think the closest we have in terms of raw talent is Oscar, so he would potentially have a shot at more minutes next season. Especially, if we don't sign another RW. For Rico, the competition is just so tough. Kyle, Manu, and John for the RB position, Rodri, Kova, Foden, KDB, Bernardo, Nunes, and Bruno (potentially), and allegedly one more midfielder (apparently we want to sign two this summer) for the midfield position. I don't see where he plays more, and he needs it. 180 mins less this season already. Turns 20 at the end of the year, so he needs to start playing, or he ends up like Cole; at another club.

His versatility is his great strength but I fear it will stop him ever nailing down a place. I think his best position is actually in a more advanced midfield role but I'm not convinced we'll ever see him play there for us.
He's 18 learning his trade in the best club side in Europe.

He is an incredible footballer, I have never seen such a young player look so confident on the field.

Foden is 1 in a million talent. I think the closest we have in terms of raw talent is Oscar, so he would potentially have a shot at more minutes next season. Especially, if we don't sign another RW. For Rico, the competition is just so tough. Kyle, Manu, and John for the RB position, Rodri, Kova, Foden, KDB, Bernardo, Nunes, and Bruno (potentially), and allegedly one more midfielder (apparently we want to sign two this summer) for the midfield position. I don't see where he plays more, and he needs it. 180 mins less this season already. Turns 20 at the end of the year, so he needs to start playing, or he ends up like Cole; at another club.
Still, someone who many were saying would not make it due to minutes played or not as the case maybe , and he should be loaned . His path didn't work put to badly did it ?
I belive in Pep and the coaching staff at City and believe that skill/potential + application + patience , u won't go far wrong , Cole was short on at least 2 of those ingredients, I knew of things happening behind the scene aboy a year before he left , and thought if he didnt sort that out he won't last here. ( I'm not going into details)
All that being said very few indeed will succeed as Foden has only the strongest survive, but its obvious there was a plan for him throughout his development and it has been very successful

My point is, he's not been told anything.
So I doubt the club would leak it without doing so.
And he's entirely happy the way things have gone.
That is great to hear. I would be alarmed, and exceedingly surprised, if any deals were taking place behind Rico's back. Unfortunately, the social media age means that there is no consequence for making false statements - I read today that City had secured Lauturo Martinez as a replacement for Phil Foden. The other day, someone else had been bought as a replacement for Rodri.

For me, there is nothing like youngsters coming through to make it at the highest levels of the game. When its with us, and they've been at the club for more than a decade, it is even more special. It isn't only the head that makes us fans: our hearts are and should be involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.