82 | Rico Lewis - 2024/25

Wouldn’t feel sorry for him, Peps set the team up so he can play a 2/6/10 hybrid. I expect he’s having a great time. One of the reasons we are doing okay without Rodri is Lewis.
I was gonna say, we currently have a "Rico Lewis" position which is a hybrid role I don't think I've ever seen in football and which the whole team has been built around to play. For a player as smart as he is I bet it the most exciting thing you could be asked to do. Feeling sorry for him would be very low down my list.

I think this run of three consecutive starts will have done his confidence the world of good.

He must know that he is an integral part of Pep's system, and not just a stand-in, when Kyle needs a rest.

As much as I’m a fan of Boulders in the hybrid defender/midfielder rôle, Rico is much better at it.

Last edited:
I was watching the United v Liverpool game with my son and pointing at the huge gap in midfield that their right back refused to enter when they had possession at the back. Eventually my son got frustrated with me saying it every 30 seconds and said "not every team has Rico Lewis".

Rico is close to David Silva levels of finding space - he's a joy to watch off the ball just like Silva was. I hope we manage to find a consistent place for him in the team. He could be the player the press are hyping Mainoo to be

I was watching the United v Liverpool game with my son and pointing at the huge gap in midfield that their right back refused to enter when they had possession at the back. Eventually my son got frustrated with me saying it every 30 seconds and said "not every team has Rico Lewis".

Rico is close to David Silva levels of finding space - he's a joy to watch off the ball just like Silva was. I hope we manage to find a consistent place for him in the team. He could be the player the press are hyping Mainoo to be
From what I’ve seen of Rico so far this season, I think right-back is the perfect position for him.

As we have seen, especially at West Ham, he is a more than capable defender, and he doesn’t take the place of one of our attacking midfielders.

He isn’t afraid to push as far forward as the opponents' box, as proven on Saturday, when he provided the assist for Erling's second.

I think he could evolve into a Gündoğan-type of player, but our midfield is too well stacked with top quality players to have room for him.

And if he pushes right up to the opposition’s box, we have plenty of experienced defenders to cover quick breaks, who are no slouches over the ground. And, as he proved on Saturday, even Erling is prepared to sprint back to help snuff out breaks.

So, leave Rico where he is; at right-back, though, I think that Kyle will come back into the side immediately after the international break, as he is not involved and Rico is.

The biggest compliment and simultaneously biggest concern about Rico is that Pep seems to be breaking his own rule.

It seems as though Pep is using Rico much more liberally than he used, as an example, Foden back in his younger days.

This shows that Rico is performing at such an unprecedented high level that Pep feels forced to play him regularly .

However, is it concerning that such a young player might play so many hours this season? Are we looking at a potential "Michael Owen" situation? The kind that gets discussed around young talents being overused in their early years?

I don't mean it as a complaint. And I'm sure Pep knows what he's doing ... and I'm even more sure that Rico doesn't mind one bit!!

But it's an interesting question, is all.

He covers more ground and has a lot of grit in him, I feel like he's more Bernardo than David.

The biggest compliment and simultaneously biggest concern about Rico is that Pep seems to be breaking his own rule.

It seems as though Pep is using Rico much more liberally than he used, as an example, Foden back in his younger days.

This shows that Rico is performing at such an unprecedented high level that Pep feels forced to play him regularly .

However, is it concerning that such a young player might play so many hours this season? Are we looking at a potential "Michael Owen" situation? The kind that gets discussed around young talents being overused in their early years?

I don't mean it as a complaint. And I'm sure Pep knows what he's doing ... and I'm even more sure that Rico doesn't mind one bit!!

Rico didn’t play very much at all towards the end of last season.

And this term, he has played in the opening three League fixtures plus the Community Shield, deputising for a player, who had a very busy summer at the Euros.

As I said in my previous post, I think Kyle will start the first game, after the international break, which will give Rico a rest, and then Pep will take it from there.

GOAL - Multiple Images - 2 Split - Facebook (54).jpg.jpgScreenshot_20240904_150346_Chrome.jpg

"The versatile teenager is Pep Guardiola's new golden boy and looks set for a glorious future for club and country.

When Walker walked out at the Olympic Stadium in Berlin for the Euro 2024 final against Spain, Lewis was sat at home alone, watching the game on television.

He had turned down the chance to watch the game with his friends in Manchester, partly out of fear of getting soaked in beer and partly because he wanted to watch the game from a tactical point of view and take it all in. Besides, he had to rest up ahead of City's pre-season tour of the US.

Lewis played no part in the Champions League final, but Guardiola still praised him for his role in winning the treble. The coach said: "Many good things happened this season, and the team realised how they have to play; it’s thanks to Rico Lewis. Rico, with that movement, he makes the team fluid.

"After that, Kyle Walker and John Stones realised how to play that position, by watching him. But the other players have a lot of things Rico doesn’t have; experience, and composure during the game. But this is how the team grows."

The little boy with the big hair is back in the ring and he is coming for Walker's crown, for City and England. And this time he is ready to keep it."

A brilliant & spot on piece about Rico from Goal. This kid could be a Superstar in the making.

https://www.goal.com/en-gb/lists/ri...er-crown-man-city-england/blt6f8e2dfd22fde34a

He needs consistent game time to improve. And it's only 3 days in, no doubt walker will have a run in the team when the season gets going proper

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.