87 | James McAtee - 2024/25

Of course he can. He’s a young player. Bobb, Lewis and all young players are like that. We can’t expect him to be a ready made player, it’s going to take time and as you say we need to trust his talent
Sorry I'm not sure that translated well.
I meant he can't "flit in and out" as a first team starter.
I look forward to seeing what he offers when given minutes at suitable times, but then he can't "flit in and out' he has to show what he can do

Like all the young players, the proof of their pudding will be when they are the sole addition to the recognized First XI, not when they are yet another Academy player trying to hold “Man City” together with half the players missing or trying to get fit.

McAtee, like O’Reilly (and Lewis & Bobb, & even Foden before them), needs to be showing he’s ready for minutes in training, then building them as a first sub, not fifth in the 85th minute of a 3-0 “keep ball” session.

One of the problems with blooding youngsters at City is Pep’s reluctance to make subs, followed by his penchant for closing down games with 10-20 mins of keep ball with his 11 of his 16 favorites.

This season, I hope he is brave enough to allow his 16 to extend to 20 or so, to enable the game time that will not only nurture the talent, but keep it happy with its development, as opposed to looking to leave for more playing time elsewhere.

All of that said, McAtee is entering his key season at City. Can he, at this age and stage of development, provide enough of the quality relief needed for Foden and KDB to get some rest?

If he can answer that in the affirmative, he has a future here. If not, he will end up plying his trade elsewhere.

Last edited:
Like all the young players, the proof of their pudding will be when they are the sole addition to the recognized First XI, not when they are yet another Academy player trying to hold “Man City” together with half the players missing or trying to get fit.

McAtee, like O’Reilly (and Lewis & Bobb, & even Foden before them), needs to be showing he’s ready for minutes in training, then building them as a first sub, not fifth in the 85th minute of a 3-0 “keep ball” session.

One of the problems with blooding youngsters at City is Pep’s reluctance to make subs, followed by his penchant for closing down games with 10-20 mins of keep ball with his 11 of his 16 favorites.

This season, I hope he is brave enough to allow his 16 to extend to 20 or so, to enable the game time that will not only nurture the talent, but keep it happy with its development, as opposed to looking to leave for more playing time elsewhere.

All of that said, McAtee is entering his key season at City. Can he, at this age and stage of development, provide enough of the quality relief needed for Foden and KDB to get some rest?

If he can answer that in the affirmative, he has a future here. If not, he will end up plying his trade elsewhere.
It’s up to the starting eleven to score the chances created and get the 3-goal cushion Guardiola prefers. With no Alvarez, the onus falls on the others but especially on Haaland.

I have maintained for a while now that he is as close to an El Mago type player as our academy has produced and I would like to see him given a season to determine if he can play the Bernardo role when needed, especially given we may be losing Bubblegum soon.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.