9/11 where were you?

Stunned that @ChicagoBlue was so measured in his response given his profession and employer.
A **** is a **** is a ****.

He’s not going to change. Gave him a few things to chew one from the 50th state, 11 hours west. Had I been 11 feet away, I’m sure we’d have been having a different discussion.

Can still see LeRoy’s smiling face when I think of him. His wife and kids must hate this day, esp given she was allowed to listen to the cockpit tapes of her husband’s last moments, knowing he gave his all to try to stop those Saudi fucks. Explicit and graphic, it’s clear enough to know exactly what happened…which isn’t covered by ATC tapes.

He has a Foundation in his name to help young pilots get ahead, and he is fondly remembered by friends and family.

Who cares what some sad British **** thinks about American news in the UK.

Fuck him and the horse he rode in on…as we’d say in the States!

Last edited:
I was at work, and back then I worked in a warehouse / logistics office. We had the radio on and, like others, we imagined it was the start of the third world war. There was a question of whether we should be going home to our families from someone, but we stayed on as at least that gave some normality. I think I went straight round to my parents when I clocked off.

Can't really compare it to much else. Similar in how it hits to Hillsborough or even the Erikson thing this last summer, but magnified several fold. A bit like the Manchester bombings but again, you knew it was on a world scale. The free world was being attacked and, regardless of the flaws of the US and capitalism, that affects us all.

You have to remember that at the time nobody knew how far it went, who was backing the attacks and if more were to come. Whilst the day and the memory undoubtedly hits Americans harder, it has changed the lives of every one of us. Which makes the recent events in Afghanistan even more appalling.

Don’t know. Don’t care. All these USA based news flashes irritates me like hell. Yes it was a disaster. Yes innocent people died. So did a lot more due to the tsunami in Indonesia. Heard anything from that lately?
Anyways it’s 20 years later. Life moves on. Even Ronaldo gained age. Although if you listen to MothD he had grown younger. Fecked up USA ruled world.

Clearly the username is a nod to how long you have been a Div.

In work, got a phone call off the missus telling me the first plane had gone into the tower. First thought was what a horrific accident, then she said second one had hit, other phones in the office were ringing as worker mates families rang them. Obvious at that point it was terrorism.

No TV or radio in the office, my memory is a bit hazy now but I think we sort of carried on as normal for the rest of the day, with constant updates via phone, but I may be wrong about that

I was at work in London and got sent home. A friend had his first day in a new job in Canary Wharf that day and they got evacuated. He went back the next day but some new starters did not.

I was working in Bury at the time and we shared premises with another company..lad from other company came in and said America had been attacked and planes were being flown into buildings all over USA.
Got home after work and it was all over the TV..couldn't believe what I wa seeing..
It was surreal..hard to believe that anybody could do that to other people.
When it showed the people jumping from the towers it was awful...what a terrible choice to have..burn alive or jump from 100 floors up..
There was a documentary and on one of the planes that hit the towers was a family taking their young daughter to her first trip to Disney..
R.I.P all the innocent victims.

Looking back, it’s incredible to think that the cockpit was like a tourist attraction!
The company, that I work for had already designed and manufactured a fortified Kevlar bulletproof cockpit door, up until 9/11 we didn’t have many takers, as the doors fitted were previously made of tissue paper and very often pinned open.
Post 9/11 the doors became mandatory, and we spent the next 10 years retrofitting and installing bulletproof cockpit doors,with pin code access which are now fitted on all commercial aircraft.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.