9/11

I remember that they announced initially that 50,000 had died.
In retrospect I saw that as a deliberate lie they'd use to increase rage and support for whatever they wanted to do.
People would always remember that 50,000 statistic even if it wasn't accurate.
I remember thinking there won't be peace for 20 years
Now I think it'll just be perpetual war or shit stirring for war forever.

I was actually living in Australia when it happened so whenever I get asked the 'where you when....' question, my answer is actually fast asleep in bed! First I knew of it was several hours after it had all happened and I turned the tv on in the lounge after getting up. Took a good couple of minutes for me to work out it wasn't some action film that was on at a really odd time of day.

This is better than my “where were you when” story because I was 8 and we had a half day at school so I went round a friends house while my parents worked.

His mum told us a plane had flown into a tower and being 8 we assumed she meant like a Cessna had flown into Big Ben, and immediately started recreating it in his garden. Obviously we didn’t grasp the seriousness but I often wonder what his mum must have thought watching us from the kitchen window while she listened to the coverage on the radio.

Didn’t really get it until the next day when I started seeing the news footage and the body counts.

I think, regardless of whatever "truth" you believe about how 9/11 came about, it's probably just worth focusing on the 3,000 people who died and the thousands more who've died since from cancers and other infections brought on by being near Ground Zero. In the end, it doesn't matter who brought about their deaths, it is still the single most devastating loss of life in a single non-natural event in human history. Whether it was a conspiracy or a cover-up or neither of those things, the world was forever changed by it, except for the worlds of the people who just went to work that morning like millions of others worldwide and didn't come home.

For what it's worth, I believe 99% of the official version of events. I believe 19 Al Qaeda terrorists conspired together to fly four planes into four buildings and kill as many people as they possibly could. But, as I said before, I don't think the "Who?" of it all matters much when weighed up against the loss of life. Innocent people were slaughtered on a mass scale in a truly incomprehensible event that we'll probably never recover from as a global society, such were its wide-reaching and irreversible impacts. A day that contained every extreme of humanity's potential for great bravery and nobility but also for great treachery and evil.

The people I think of most are the ones trapped in the towers, who were simultaneously waiting to be rescued and waiting for the end. Leaning out of windows hundreds of feet into the air, so desperate were they for air. Some of them staring into the flames and deciding suicide was the only alternative. Listen to the phone call made by Kevin Cosgrove if you can. The people who held hands as they jumped together, the people between the 93rd and 99th floors of the North Tower for whom 9/11 never really happened; they were just killed in a plane crash at work and that was that. A haunting and dark day that I've become obsessed with over the years, in truth, because of all it contains.

Hard to believe we're almost a quarter of a century on. How the hell do you explain it to today's kids? How do you get them to wrap their minds around not only the scale of tragedy but also the symbolic terror of it all. Because not only did it change the world in an instant, it also brought about the true end of the 20th century and gave us the world as we've known it ever since. I don't know if a similar event could have such an impact ever again. Can it be compared to anything previously in history? I think it stands entirely alone as an event. An awful, awful event that can't - and still hasn't - been put into words.
Are you from the US? Very western centric view of the tragedy.

I was in my car, listening to Steve Wright In The Afternoon on Radio Two.

When he announced that an airplane had crashed into one of the Twin Towers, my immediate thought was, "Not another fuck up by American air traffic control!"

As someone said earlier, it’s one of those moments you’ll never forget, along with Elvis'', Princess Diana and Lennon's deaths, as well as the space shuttle explosion (and some others) that you’ll never forget.

Are you from the US? Very western centric view of the tragedy.
The UK.

Obviously the bombs of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, and the Bhopal disaster, "rank" above 9/11 (if you want to put it in those terms) but I was trying to find a way to describe it as a terrorist attack without using those exact words, just to avoid being piled on by people who believe it was anything but.

Have just edited the post with the actual words.

Last edited:
Just stuff like unusual stock market activity makes you wonder. I'm not necessarily a believer in government or intelligence agency conspiracy just people acting for their own interests who had advance knowledge. And as mentioned in this it's hard to comprehend who really benefited from 9/11 apart from people who wanted America embedded in the middle east. That group could of course include people who wanted to see America dragged overseas defeated and humiliated.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.