9 | Erling Haaland - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ll strap my tinhat on here but…

He shouldn’t be immune to criticism as stupid as that sounds with the number of goals he has, but other than his goal yesterday his hold up play and general involvement was crap, he also got dragged in to a stupid battle with a shit championship level defender that nearly got him sent off and played straight in to Everton’s hands, the ball was bouncing off him all game as it was against Brentford too.

I do understand his frustration at times but sometimes he needs to do more as well when it comes to bringing others in to play.

I’ll strap my tinhat on here but…

He shouldn’t be immune to criticism as stupid as that sounds with the number of goals he has, but other than his goal yesterday his hold up play and general involvement was crap, he also got dragged in to a stupid battle with a shit championship level defender that nearly got him sent off and played straight in to Everton’s hands, the ball was bouncing off him all game as it was against Brentford too.

I do understand his frustration at times but sometimes he needs to do more as well when it comes to bringing others in to play.
Still a bit raw in his overall play and it is affecting our build-up. Makes you wonder how good he'll be in 2/3 years time.

Still a bit raw in his overall play and it is affecting our build-up. Makes you wonder how good he'll be in 2/3 years time.
I suspect he's working very hard in training on these parts. This could be why the team hasn't changed the way it plays much to suit him.

Only City fans could possibly find drawbacks to signing an absolute goal machine

Fuck me, last season we complained we didn't have a goalscorer, and now we complain that we do

It's the rest of the team that need to sort their shit out, find him more often, and then defend relatively well

The guy is the quickest striker in the prem, runs in behind with ease, and will likely score every chance you make for him

Literally only we could moan that we were a better (or controlled) team without him
Success is a team game. A record goal scorer and winning nothing is no use to anyone including the record goal scorer.

Its Peps job to sort it out.

Last season goals vs (this half seasons goals):

KDB 15 -> (3)
Sterling 13 -> (Grealish 1)
Mahrez 11 -> (1)
Foden 9 -> (7)
Gundogan 8 -> (2)
Jesus 8 -> (Alvarez 3)
Silva 8 -> (3)
Rodri 7 -> (1)

I don't think I've seen a single post complaining about Haaland or suggesting he's a problem, his job is to score goals, and he's doing that to an extent simply never seen before in the PL, its remarkable and no one would deny that.
However if you look at how everyone else is doing in that aspect, only Foden is on schedule to improve on last season. We've become quite reliant on Haaland scoring multiple goals per game to get us 3 points.

If you think this is as good as we can do as a team with Haaland in it then I think you're being very pessimistic - I'd suggest we should be able to do better, and that starts with more contribution from our other attackers, which I expect will take time to develop those partnerships and movements.
One thing those stats tell you especially with games played is that foden and alvarez should play more.

You would need to ask pep why he doesn't concern himself with the amount of contributions each player makes

Success is a team game. A record goal scorer and winning nothing is no use to anyone including the record goal scorer.

Its Peps job to sort it out.
I agree, but that's something he will have to sort out, as he won't get any sympathy from many people if he's unable to make it work

I agree, but that's something he will have to sort out, as he won't get any sympathy from many people if he's unable to make it work
We could really do with 2 attacking full backs that give us width but we don't have that.

I don't accept the resting and rotation policy we have. Kdb and Rodri seem to be played to death but younger players are regularly dropped. If we want to win the league or CL I think haaland foden alvarez Silva kdb rodri walker stones are the key. Who plays with them and what formation is the managers job. He isn't getting the best out of a really talented squad.

There is time to sort it though. But it's running out.

Every time he gets on the shoulder of the last defender, points to where he wants it, and then we pass sideways or backwards it makes me die inside just a little.
I preferred the few times Kev tried to give it to him and failed over the 100 times someone passed the ball back or sideways to a safe option.

I hate the overpossession of the ball. It used to mentally drain the opposition because we were constantly trying to create chances.

A lot of it now is simply possession for possession sake. The opposition isn't under any immense pressure. Frankly, they are waiting for a mistake to pounce. Because they are not under immense mental pressure of any kind.

We need more front line pressure on the ball. When up for it, that means Foden and Alvarez flanking Haaland.

Bernie/Gundo can play as one set of eight for each other and Kev/Grealish as the other set.

I like Maherz primarily as a sub when the other team is tired. Coz he doesn't have the natural intensity we need in our wing forwards. But he has the Skill

The idea is that it will over the long run kill the opposition far more often than not...

Personally, I hate it when our opponents have the ball; so does Pep, which is one reason I like him.
It's the mental fatigue of defending their goal for an onslaught that demoralizes opposition.

Non-threathening possession, might in fact do the opposite. The opposition can choose wto just sit back and wait for errors.

Their 2 lines of deep 5s can comfortably deal with any possession that doesn't threaten.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.