9 | Erling Haaland - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ll strap my tinhat on here but…

He shouldn’t be immune to criticism as stupid as that sounds with the number of goals he has, but other than his goal yesterday his hold up play and general involvement was crap, he also got dragged in to a stupid battle with a shit championship level defender that nearly got him sent off and played straight in to Everton’s hands, the ball was bouncing off him all game as it was against Brentford too.

I do understand his frustration at times but sometimes he needs to do more as well when it comes to bringing others in to play.
The fight against that dude made no sense to me. Dude was shit scared of Haaland and his stepping on Haaland was a genuine mistake.

Haaland can't give the impression that he can be got emotionally.

Yes, Everton might not be talented enough to fully take advantage of it, but other teams might.

It's the mental fatigue of defending their goal for an onslaught that demoralizes opposition.

Non-threathening possession, might in fact do the opposite. The opposition can choose wto just sit back and wait for errors.

Their 2 lines of deep 5s can comfortably deal with any possession that doesn't threaten.
this is true. if they deny us possesion territory near or inside their box, infact that will galvanize them not demoralize them.

We could really do with 2 attacking full backs that give us width but we don't have that.

I don't accept the resting and rotation policy we have. Kdb and Rodri seem to be played to death but younger players are regularly dropped. If we want to win the league or CL I think haaland foden alvarez Silva kdb rodri walker stones are the key. Who plays with them and what formation is the managers job. He isn't getting the best out of a really talented squad.

There is time to sort it though. But it's running out.
We do have attacking wing backs, we could potentially play Walker/Cancelo and Gomez against the lesser sides in the league

Gomez isn't a great option, but he will give us width and an overlap which at least gives the full back something to think about, and gives the likes of Grealish two options

I think the reason we don't rotate is that our game isn't particularly taxing. We have the ball for 70% of the game so physically and mentally it can't be too draining

That being said, we need Alvarez in the team for his pressing which should hopefully put a bit of panic into the opposition defence. I don't even think I'd be too worried with Mahrez and Grealish pressing me, Haaland a bit more so though haha!!

We do have attacking wing backs, we could potentially play Walker/Cancelo and Gomez against the lesser sides in the league

Gomez isn't a great option, but he will give us width and an overlap which at least gives the full back something to think about, and gives the likes of Grealish two options

I think the reason we don't rotate is that our game isn't particularly taxing. We have the ball for 70% of the game so physically and mentally it can't be too draining

That being said, we need Alvarez in the team for his pressing which should hopefully put a bit of panic into the opposition defence. I don't even think I'd be too worried with Mahrez and Grealish pressing me, Haaland a bit more so though haha!!
We do rotate but not certain players. As for attacking fullbacks who naturally give width we don't really have any. We have too many technical players who like to come inside or/and like to play between the lines. We have great players but too many have similar strengths.

I’d like to see our play just speed up in general. One less pass or a quicker delivery and I think Erling scores even more

OK, so we are now saying that the other players are performing poorly because of Haaland?

There's also been a lot of rotation in the team so far because of the World Cup, which is possibly a reason for those players struggling to get going.

Despite that stats above, we spent most of last season complaining that we didn't have a striker, so to now use that as the reason for us not performing is a bit odd if you ask me. Especially when that striker has broken pretty much every goal scoring record ever made by a PL player!
I'd say we are performing less well, rather than poorly, and not because of Haaland, but because we're in a transitional period as I said (and the fact its one of those odd seasons given the World Cup like you say, reminds me of the season Leicester won, or Liverpool).

We're adapting to a lot of change up top, with less pace and width and a more direct player in the number 9 position.

Haaland isn't being "blamed" as you seem to keep suggesting, but it isn't hard to see, or unreasonable to suggest, that there is more to come - it takes time to adapt, we often see it with players under Pep that it takes a season to settle, and I think it will be the same with regards to this current change in personnel.

We've seen it in 45 minutes against United how good it can be, but I don't think we'll see it too often this season. I hope and expect we will more consistently over the next couple of years.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.