9 | Erling Haaland - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if a lot of people are just assuming this is the first time he's "struggled".

I had a look at his league stats, and in his two full seasons at Dortmund he scored in 14 and then 13 different matches - around half the matches he played. At City last season, he scored in 23 games.

Even taking into account the extra games, and lack of injuries, it's still a significant jump.

I think the 'goal a game' record throughout his career, and his exceptional season last year, has given the impression that he scores every time he plays, but clearly his recent record isn't actually that different.

There is definitely an illusion around Erling. I was cursing him today again and then you realise, "Oh, he just scored 2 more today".

It's basic probability. If you get yourself in enough positions to score through movement, then it does not matter how many you convert. Kun was a lot like this in his first few years with us, and I am sure the majority of people do no remember just how many sitters he used to miss. He obviously adapted his game as he got older and became less dynamic but more efficient.

I'm glad he managed to get that goal from open play after missing a couple of good chances. Should hopefully give him a confidence boost ahead of the derby.

I feel like we've bought too many midfielders that aren't a goal threat. Jack isn't prolific, Doku scores a handful, Nunes and Kovacic don't really score or assist. So when Foden and De Bruyne aren't playing, it means that teams can focus on Haaland and Alvarez. There's nothing wrong with any of those players individually, but when none of them are putting up the numbers, it becomes difficult.
Add Bernardo Silva to the list. He has had no goals/assists outside of the West Ham game.

Should use his right foot more, cracking goal.
It was a belter. Top top finisher.
Smash a penalty home with your powerful left foot ...then in a crowded penalty area he somehow finds the time space,confidence and composure.. to transfer the ball from his left foot to his weaker right and produce a brilliant finish ,giving the keeper no chance.
I never knew he had that level of ability in his locker.
What a player.
Can't wait for Maguire on Sunday.
Happy Halloween rags...This could be something special.
C'mon City.smash them into the ground.

Strongly disagree..Laporte held the defence together in his own, better touch and pass then any of our defenders, stones learnt a lot from Lapoete. Such an undervalued player, Laporte.. so in my opinion, the others were not better, not even close
If you don’t think prime Vinny was better than Laporte then i’m amazed. The other 2 were also better in Pep’s opinion. Nothing against Laporte either he was a very good player for us.

There is an inevitability about Pep influencing Haaland to overthink what he does. Haaland's unique attribute is doing the basics of striker play extremely well.

He is also clearly in a striker's drought, yet he is still scoring goals.

He is young and still an enigma. The next 3 years will be extremely important in his career as he starts to work out for himself what his identity is.
Overthink
Good one

All those criticising “efficiency” missing fact that his chances aren’t as clear cut this season as ball not being played as early or precise enough so more work to do.
All those saying he needs to do more are missing his link up like for Alvarez disallowed goal

It does feel that we are underutilising his skill set when you see how good his final ball can be. He's not as graceful as David Silva but he has an excellent weight of pass so its worth giving it to him in the hole and letting him play others in on goal more than once every other game.

I’ve been thinking/saying this for a while - his touch and link up play is great.

That’s two games running now (Brighton and last night) where he’s dropped from just being a focal point and been more involved in all-round play.

Hopefully a sign of things to come instead of being too one dimensional.

That is some goal for his 2nd. Good game overall IMO.

Seemed a little displeased with himself for not putting away more but some of the chances aren't actually all that easy. However, he's hard on himself and that's why his mentality is elite.

I think his overall game in the last two games has been really good and he's looking sharper in that respect, which probably means more goals are going to come too

Not that they haven't been anyway, he's got three in the last two and is the Premier League top scorer, but I think it's a good indication that he's getting sharper and will start sticking away even half chances like at some points last season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.