9 | Erling Haaland - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was frustrated with his own performance I'm sure and it all came out in that moment. He wants to win, and the ref made a mistake. I'm sure after his meditation this morning he'll have calmed down. He'll get punished and that's a frustration for us as we've already had a fair amount of issues with petulance from the squad. I think all 5 of Grealish's yellow cards have been petulant. Rodri's sending off was similarly unnecessary against Forest. We need the squad to galvanise. It's been a feature of Pep's time with City that we get some bad decisions - expect them lads, and work harder to make sure they don't cost us.

can we talk about the bbc running a news article about one word on social media? they never usually pick up these stories - cleary trying to engineer a ban

Haaland was one of several City players to remonstrate with the official and he continued his protests after the game by reposting a clip of the incident on X, formerly Twitter, with the comment "Wtf", which is offensive slang.

The biggest star in the league, he's going to get the headlines for good or for bad. It's natural.

The biggest star in the league, he's going to get the headlines for good or for bad. It's natural.
fine but the bbc also did a puff piece with Dan roan interviewing harry maguire after the guy was convicted of assaulting a police officer where it was presented as though he was defending his sister and that it doesn't count as a conviction until the appeal is heard

which as far as I am aware it never was…and no one in the media mentions it ever again

Deservedly. He's in a position where he's influencing kids playing football worldwide.
Yes but we all know that the super star's bad behavior will get copied on many a Sunday league game and school playing field. Same with managers, Pep showed class after Sunday's match saying although he was disappointed he wasn't going to go full Arteta but again it's the
tantrum-thrower that gets most attention. Bobby Robson once said "sometimes you just have to learn how to lose", those days might be gone.

fine but the bbc also did a puff piece with Dan roan interviewing harry maguire after the guy was convicted of assaulting a police officer where it was presented as though he was defending his sister and that it doesn't count as a conviction until the appeal is heard

which as far as I am aware it never was…and no one in the media mentions it ever again

It certainly shouldn't surprise anyone that the BBC treat red shirts differently. But I don't think you can react like Haaland both on the pitch and then on social media and not expect it to be in the headlines. Like I said, he's the biggest name in the league and if there's a story about him it will be published and drawn out for as long as possible.

Haaland was shite yesterday. Would do better taking a look at himself instead of the petulance at the end of the game.
Yes, the ref made a catastrophic error but nobody would give a crap if Haaland had hit the empty net in the first half or made a difference in the second half.

He made a great assist for Jack, but I maintain he should have come off.

He's physically not built for it, but he's so slow off of the ball that I feel like the rest of the team is trying to overcompensate for him. When he's not putting the ball in the net, he becomes a net-negative. Pep's refusal to ever sub him is borderline pathetic,
Bollocks , and do you like pep or any single player as you do nothing but slag them all off

Yes but we all know that the super star's bad behavior will get copied on many a Sunday league game and school playing field. Same with managers, Pep showed class after Sunday's match saying although he was disappointed he wasn't going to go full Arteta but again it's the
tantrum-thrower that gets most attention. Bobby Robson once said "sometimes you just have to learn how to lose", those days might be gone.

In the heat of the moment it's natural to kick off. But it doesn't change the result and it doesn't stop you getting another bad decision. We've been fucked over plenty of times. The majority of posts on social media seem to suggest this is the first time City have been on the bad end of a decision and how ironic it is we are moaning about cheating. But, as with the Akanji "foul" on Allison, we take it on the chin and move on. We've been a winning machine thanks to the bad decisions over the years. Those many low points in the CL for example. It's all part of a lesson in ensuring we do enough for those things not to impact us. We didn't draw yesterday because of it, so we work harder to make sure the next time something like that happens it doesn't impact us. Mikel has created an environment of whingeing at the Emirates. I know a couple of Arsenal fans and they constantly post about what they see as dodgy VAR calls - only the ones that go against them of course. It's an obsession and it doesn't help breed a mentality of winning in spite of bad calls. The one at Newcastle was tight, but they didn't do enough to win that game anyway.

Managers used to have dignity. You would never see Joe Mercer, Matt Busby, Bill Shankly etc being pathetic in the face of adversity.

Most of today's 'top' coaches are embarrassing attention seeking divas, who almost certainly influence the behaviour of their players.

Football is dead.

Bollocks , and do you like pep or any single player as you do nothing but slag them all off
Off the top of my head- I've been defending Akanji, Gvaridol, Doku, advocating for Lewis to play, etc... I'll do us both a favor and hit the ignore button.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.