9 | Erling Haaland - 2023/24

He plays centre forward for probably the greatest side this country has ever produced who on 99% of the time have 70% plus possession and most of that in the attacking 3rd
He has some of the best creative players in the game creating chances for him and all that’s asked of him Is be in front of the goal and when the rest of the team get the ball to you there stick it in the net
He’s given the pass of only being expected to do this and contribute nothing in any other part of the game, his ridiculously low touch count each game shows this
He’s allowed to contribute even less to all round play than Aguero did, he was told do more or you’re benched and he was benched
You give me any premier league level striker at City and tell them that’s their only job, put them on penalties and I’m putting money on them to be up there every year in the golden boot race

Pep played false 9s at Barca, left Aguero out to play false 9 against Barca, constantly talked about how he’d have 11 midfielders If he could and to me there’s no way Haaland is Pep’s player

It’s just my opinion if we had a player like Berbatov, Kane, Drogba, Tevez, that those kind of players would maybe not quite get Haalands personal total of goals but would contribute that much more that we’d score more as a team and be a better all round side more capable of breaking the better teams down

It’s not hard to mark someone who is remaining in a relatively small area in the large portions of games when we’re surrounding the oppositions box trying to break through

The year before Haaland came most on here were mocking United fans for worshipping Ronaldo as he was banging them in and his personal stats looked great but we all showed twitter pictures of his heat map to show that although he was scoring his all round involvement was actual making United worse
Those same City fans don’t view Haaland contributions the same for some reason
Ronaldo scored 20+ goals in a team that finished 7th I think

Last 4 semis against Madrid he’s been anonymous, last 2 cup finals the same, Inter final the same

We didn’t sign Haaland to help us beat West Ham, Fulham etc… we never had a problem doing that without him as our goals totals proved, we want a striker who makes the difference in those 50/50 games and to do that you need more to your game than he offers in terms of ability to create a goal for yourself and create for others

If teams played football against us and took us on It wouldn’t be as much of a problem but all teams pack the defence and sit deep and when the really top sides and as yesterday showed even just a really well organised side/defence he’s just irrelevant

Just don’t see him as a good fit for our style of play

PS just to be clear I fxxkin hate Ronaldo
Was Lewendoski a Pep player? You adapt the team to the players you have.

Osimhen. Much better in the air, presses way more, constantly makes runs. Having marginally less pace wouldn't make a difference because against the low block it doesn't matter anyway, and if there is space on the counter hes more than fast enough.
Haaland league goals scored in whats been labelled as an off season for him: 27
Osimhen best ever league goals return: 26

If goals from strikers dont matter to you and youd rather see a striker press a bit more than put the ball away then so be it but on a goalscoring level Osimhen isnt anywhere near Haaland.

Haaland league goals scored in whats been labelled as an off season for him: 27
Osimhen best ever league goals return: 26

If goals from strikers dont matter to you and youd rather see a striker press a bit more than put the ball away then so be it but on a goalscoring level Osimhen isnt anywhere near Haaland.
Thats a very superficial analysis. Osimhen isn't being fed by a midfield of City's quality.

Haaland is not getting fed by any in City like his first season. Gundogan and Mahrez gone have made an inpact
Are less chances being made now? Don't think so. City's game is set up so that there is always a siege on the opponent's goal. Someone who is a better header of the ball and works harder to get in position (while having 90% of Haaland's athleticism) would be more effective there, and "how many goals did they score last year" is not that relevant as a counterargument.

Thats a very superficial analysis. Osimhen isn't being fed by a midfield of City's quality.
Its factual analysis and nothing less. Haaland didnt have the supply he does at city for dortmund or salzburg but still averaged pretty much a goal a game and hes continued it at city.

Osimhen is nowhere near haaland on a goalscoring level. I always thought a strikers primary role was to put the ball in the net but according to you its to press defences.

Its factual analysis and nothing less. Haaland didnt have the supply he does at city for dortmund or salzburg but still averaged pretty much a goal a game and hes continued it at city.

Osimhen is nowhere near haaland on a goalscoring level. I always thought a strikers primary role was to put the ball in the net but according to you its to press defences.
A player's primary role is to help his team win. When Benzema was Madrid's #9, it took fans years to realize that him not scoring that much is actually not that important because of the overall contribution. Of course this is all irrelevant anyway because Osimhen actually scores a lot of goals. For me hes on the same level as Haaland. The little advantage Haaland has in athleticism (Osimhen is an athletic freak as well mind you), he compensates with these other attributes.

when Pep had Lewandowski he made sure of wingers all the time putting ball in for him.
well he had Ribery, Robben duo on wings. they fucking knew how to cross a ball every game by beating a defender and make a somewhat accurate cross and there was a younger Muller also setting up attacks also Xabi Alonso from deeper etc and some good attacking fullbacks...

right now if KDB doesnt pick Haaland out with a great pass then he can go all game without a chance. bit surprised to be fair likes of Bernardo, Foden, Grealish didnt find him with great assists many more times than they did overall. technically they are all great still KDB alone assisted him more alone than them combined.
chance for Haaland to be found with a great cross or through ball from Walker or Ake or Gvardiol as fullbacks is so so unlikely. maybe twice a season thats it rather than once every two games.

Some people talk shit
Lucky it's peps opinion that counts

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.