9 | Erling Haaland - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's hugely positive you've got a guy who can score 50 a season and still disappear in games where there's no service. It's a balance. At times we'll want him causing defenders and issue with movement in behind even if it's not for any reason other than to stretch them and tire them. Other times, he does need to come deeper and get involved in the game.

thing is teams will try to come up with ways to negate him and thats what they should do to be fair after he ripped the league apart last year.

what is important now if they put more defenders on him and try to isolate him more, that will leave more chances, more space but we dont have the wingers for that. Bernardo and Grealish arent the likes of wide players like Salah, Son, Sterling etc pulling in bigger numbers scoring 15-20 or even more.
Bernardo and Grealish most likely to score 5-6 goals in the PL taking up those position on the left and right they usually do and being instructed to cut back, pass back, recycle (dont lose the ball rather than try make something more risky and lose it), thats ok as long as Haaland again scores 35 or so, and Foden, Alvarez greatly improves their tally with KDB, Rodri, Kovacic all deliver around 7-8 each. if any of this does not happen and to be fair if Haaland just scored 26 this season rather than 36 which is still potentially league top scorer number than we need wingers to make up the difference but Grealish can go games without an attempt to score so Pep might need to tune our game bit differently from the wing.

bit worried how we replace all the goals and assists from Gundo and Mahrez. Kovacic will fit but imo he does not have in his locker those end product numbers that Gundo had.

anyone who has more playing time due to these two players gone (like Foden may feature more through the middle, Alvarez maybe from right, or any new winger coming in, Kovacic playing as an 8 etc) will need to add more goals and assists for sure.

for Haaland imo it will be a case he needs to come deeper to be more involved in games where we cannot find him or service him. but then again he wont have runners next to him in the wing to do Kane-like passes which he may develop in his game later on, he comes deep, picks up the ball but has to pass back to midfield or back to wingers rather then turn and make Grealish run into the space and speed forward for a counter himself.

yesterday was rubbish but not fully fit yet imo, all team looked like we are good 2 weeks off yet fitness wise, rightly so as we started lot later than most other teams.
more of an issue was he got zero service, not one time anyone looked to play him in, bit worries me the times KDb will be injured who will be the creative brain. again we need more from wingers imo.

I saw that as a prominent moment in his attitude towards the fixture myself.Rightly or wrongly.....it summed up his approach.

Rightly in my opinion! We'd all be devastated if anyone got injured putting their body on the line in that game. It would have been nice to win it, and I was disappointed we didn't - especially with the late equaliser, but I don't care one bit today.

The Super Cup I do want to win though. It's still a silly competition but it's one we haven't won before and it would be good to win it, and then the Club World Championship in Saudi in December. Ultimately they don't mean much, but they're nice ones to have in the cabinet.

I think it's hugely positive you've got a guy who can score 50 a season and still disappear in games where there's no service. It's a balance. At times we'll want him causing defenders and issue with movement in behind even if it's not for any reason other than to stretch them and tire them. Other times, he does need to come deeper and get involved in the game.

Tin hat on... I don't think Haaland is a particularly good footballer in the purest form of the word.

He's an out and out goalscorer, no more, no less. He can bully defenders, is good at creating and moving into space, and sticking the ball in the back of the net.

When he plays, I don't expect him to 'outskill' anyone when he comes deep, just hope that he wins the ball and finds a City player when he passes it.

If Pep's starting tactic is not to play direct to Haaland in any game, then Haaland should start on the bench.

If Pep's starting tactic is not to play direct to Haaland in any game, then Haaland should start on the bench.
hahaha no chance!

He will get a rest for some games, but generally, if he's fit, he will play because he shits the life out of the opposition!

His transition play got better as last season went on and i expect it to keep improving this coming season.

hahaha no chance!

He will get a rest for some games, but generally, if he's fit, he will play because he shits the life out of the opposition!

His transition play got better as last season went on and i expect it to keep improving this coming season.

Horses for courses. It's naive to play any player who doesn't suit the tactics. Haaland may as well have sat in the stands yesterday.

Horses for courses. It's naive to play any player who doesn't suit the tactics. Haaland may as well have sat in the stands yesterday.
It was a pre-season game in the beginning of August. Yeah it would be nice to win the trophy, but no one should be taking risks at this stage to get it.

He used it as a chance to get himself fit and ready for the long season, and real games, ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.