A decline in the quality of fresh produce. Discuss

Bought some raspberries from Tesco yesterday. Absolutely tasteless. Not even a hint of raspberry. Almost all soft fruit is now grown in massive greenhouses in the UK or abroad. I wish I lived in a Mediterranean country where fruit and veg is grown outside and is sold at the local food markets.

Brexit has added around 30% of the food inflation since we left the EU. It has disrupted supply lines, increased import costs and food regulations are increasingly divergent. Our own farmers and fishermen still struggle to replace temporary labour that used to come from the EU.

Sometimes we buy fruit from the Supermarket and it comes from Peru. Bloody hell no wonder it tastes like it was picked a year ago. As someone that loves cooking and is particular about food sourcing it is increasingly expensive to buy food that is ethically sourced or climate friendly. The rearing of poultry and salmon are particular concerns.
I think we are on the road of cheaper and cheaper production while food prices continue to rise and standards fall.

Chickens over there is fast growing as well?
In salmon here Norway they have small parts of heavy metals in the pellets and much more. Many people think that is the worst food industry here in Norway. As well they cheat on exporting lower grade fish.

As much as 60 million salmon did die last year, Salmon lice,

Farmed salmon is by far Norway's most numerous production animal. In 2023, 307 million fish were released in around 700 farms along the coast and in the fjords.

Fish are like other animals and covered by the Animal Welfare Act, which states that animals must not be exposed to danger or to unnecessary stresses and strains. Around 63 million farmed salmon died in the marine phase last year. This corresponds to 16.7 percent.

Both in number and percentage, it is the highest on record, writes the Norwegian Food Safety Authority. The cause of poor welfare and high mortality is primarily infectious diseases and handling during salmon lice treatment. The number of lice treatments is still high, but the total number has been reduced from 4,176 in 2022, to 3,583 in 2023. The decrease may be due to the increased effect of preventive methods and earlier culling.

- The farming industry must change operations from treatment to prevention, and develop technology and methods that better look after the fish. There are large geographical differences in mortality, and there is a difference between individual actors in the same production area, says Godal.
he amount has decreased in recent years; from 61 million in the "peak year" 2019 to just under 34 million in 2023. More and more breeders stop using cleaner fish because they are unable to safeguard health and welfare, and because the effect is low, writes the Norwegian Food Safety Authority.
Below the limit values
Recently, different limit values were introduced for four different per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances (PFAS) in fish. PFAS are environmental toxins that are found in varying amounts in the environment, and it is difficult to completely avoid them getting into our food. The Norwegian Food Safety Authority will nevertheless keep the level of the substances in food and drink as low as possible:
- Intake of PFAS via food and drinking water does not cause acute negative health effects, but certain PFAS substances are stored in the body for a long time. If you ingest PFAS over a long period of time, it can affect your health, says Sletta.
Only two of these substances, PFNA and PFOS, were found in measurable quantities in 2023, in 0.3 percent and 4 percent of the samples respectively. The levels were well below the set limit values.
Lice agent residues
In 2023, some discoveries were also made of other environmental toxins, and residues of two agents used against salmon lice (emamectin and imidacloprid), but the levels here were also below the limit value.
In addition, residues of two other substances that are used against salmon lice were found; cypermethrin and deltamethrin. These substances are also used as pesticides, and may have ended up in the fish through the feed. The levels were below the limit value, writes the Norwegian Food Safety Authority.
Residues of lice remedies have also previously been found in some samples, but all findings have been far below the limit values. Testosterone was detected in one sample, but this turned out to be due to contamination during sampling.
Diffrent sources from ilaks.no

People have died in Sweden from listeria from salmon.

1720077532496.png

Wound
A close reason for the unusually low export of salmon is the extraordinarily high proportion of production fish that has characterized the fish for slaughter in recent weeks. Production fish are fish with injuries, wounds and deformities, which are not allowed to be exported without this being corrected.

Flaw correction normally means that the skin is cut off and the meat is filleted. This error correction can basically only be done in Norway. One company has been granted a dispensation to do this abroad. It is Hav Line, the shipping company that owns the slaughter boat "Norwegian Gannet".

Last edited:
Chickens over there is fast growing as well?
In salmon here Norway they have small parts of heavy metals in the pellets and much more. Many people think that is the worst food industry here in Norway. As well they cheat on exporting lower grade fish.

As much as 60 million salmon did die last year, Salmon lice,

Diffrent sources from ilaks.no

People have died in Sweden from listeria from salmon.
I refuse to eat farmed salmon. I wish more people would as it is the only thing that will drive change in that industry.
+ its responsible for decimating the wild population of salmon and sea trout because of sea lice infestations around the farms.

Bought some raspberries from Tesco yesterday. Absolutely tasteless. Not even a hint of raspberry. Almost all soft fruit is now grown in massive greenhouses in the UK or abroad. I wish I lived in a Mediterranean country where fruit and veg is grown outside and is sold at the local food markets.
... or supplies of Mediterranean fruit wasn't retarded by Brexit

I refuse to buy Aldi meat. You cannot sell it at such a cheap price without willing the chicken with growth hormones, keeping it in shit conditions and then, when dead, filling it full of water.
M&S are dearer but if you want to eat decent meat, a local butcher or M&S is the only way.
Don't forget Tescos sold beef that turned out to be donkey. They'd approached a supplier in Ireland, he contacted Spain who in turn contacted someone else, eventually a Bulgarian (I think) slaughterhouse sent them donkey ..... and Tescos sold it.
They said they didn't know
You'll be telling me that buffalos don't have wings next.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.