A decline in the quality of fresh produce. Discuss

We buy our eggs from local farm wouldn’t do anything else unfortunately they’ve gone from £1.20 to £2 for 6 within a year, however they are worth it. They’ve just opened a butchers shop and will be looking into that now, the chicken we get from Tesco says large absolute shite back in the day that would’ve been a small, fruit needs to be eaten quick but thankfully I use it in my porridge so just like it in to get rid. We are staring to buy local produced fresh stuff it may cost a bit more but it’s far superior to the supermarkets.

The simple fact is we, the consumer, are to blame.
We demand cheap food so the supermarkets act accordingly.
It is very easy to buy free range, corn fed chicken but people will not pay the price.
We demand to eat out of season vegetables (grown in a huge poly tunnel in Almeria before being loaded onto a truck and driven 2,000 miles in a refrigerated truck) No wonder it's bland.
The supermarkets are not the problem, we are. If they did not sell cheap shite they'd be out of business.

Last edited:
Chickens over there is fast growing as well?
In salmon here Norway they have small parts of heavy metals in the pellets and much more. Many people think that is the worst food industry here in Norway. As well they cheat on exporting lower grade fish.

As much as 60 million salmon did die last year, Salmon lice,

Diffrent sources from ilaks.no

People have died in Sweden from listeria from salmon.

View attachment 124239
Not being content with messing up Norwegian waters they then exported it to Scotland andf control many of the fish farms there https://donstaniford.typepad.com/my...rol-scottish-salmon-follow-the-salmoney-.html

Eat better quality, but consume less of it. Eat what's in season and if you're lucky enough to have one, flash/blast chill in season fruits and veg for storage in a freezer to use when out of season.

You can pick up a small blast chiller for a few hundred quid for the counter top types from auctions where catering businesses have gone under and stick it in your garage or utility room. Alternatively if money is no object SMEG will quite happily relieve you of your hard earned cash to have one integrated into your kitchen.

I have a question for the FOCs, as a kid did you have meat in every dinner and tea? And how much fish a week would you consume?

I'm going to take a guess that we now well over consume meat, and eat no where near enough fish and veg.

I took food tech in GCSE and what I was taught seemed shite compared to what my mother did at school when I spoke to her.
You seen what's in the ocean? An island country full of green land and we can't get decent food. Tremendous stuff.

Roughly 1% of the population work in agriculture in the UK,

Agriculture in the United Kingdom uses 69% of the country's land area, employs 1% of its workforce (471,000 people) and contributes 0.5% of its gross value added (£11.2 billion). The UK currently produces about 54% of its domestic food consumption.

Even if we used all of our land we couldn't feed all of the population, too many people on this planet and too many shortcuts making shit food. It wont be too long until the majority of us will be being fed government prescribed pellets.

The answer is No -we had stuff like Cheese and Egg (Baked in a dish type thing), Fish was probably a once a week thing, Liver & Onions, Plumrose Hotdogs (which I loved), potato pie (which meant just the filling -no crust normally), Corned Beef Hash -I’m struggling to remember but I reckon meat was a big part of it basically (though definitely not the best cuts)
Also Stew, Savoury duck and Spam.
Fish was reserved for Friday, usually from the local chippy.

Also Stew, Savoury duck and Spam.
Fish was reserved for Friday, usually from the local chippy.
Why are faggots called savoury ducks?

Faggots are also known as "ducks" in Yorkshire , Lincolnshire , and Lancashire , often as "savoury ducks". The first use of the term in print was in the Manchester Courier and Lancashire General Advertiser of Saturday 3 June 1843, a news report of a gluttonous man who ate twelve of them

Brexit has added around 30% of the food inflation since we left the EU. It has disrupted supply lines, increased import costs and food regulations are increasingly divergent. Our own farmers and fishermen still struggle to replace temporary labour that used to come from the EU.

Sometimes we buy fruit from the Supermarket and it comes from Peru. Bloody hell no wonder it tastes like it was picked a year ago. As someone that loves cooking and is particular about food sourcing it is increasingly expensive to buy food that is ethically sourced or climate friendly. The rearing of poultry and salmon are particular concerns.
I think we are on the road of cheaper and cheaper production while food prices continue to rise and standards fall.
The temporary labour shortage could be filled.
Every city and town I visit has people wasting their lives on the streets, trying to scrounge money for drugs (incl drink) - get 'em planting/harvesting crops!
Also senior school pupils/ students, get 'em helping in the fields a couple of hours a day during the 6 weeks holiday, not slavery, wouldn't do 'em any harm.
Litter picking too, then they might think twice about dropping food wrappers etc.
This once great nation needs to get a grip.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.