A minutes silence for Maggie!

blueste41 said:
Dave Whelan wants a minutes silence before Wigans semi final on Saturday!

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22078110" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22078110</a>

Can't see that being well received if we do the same, thoughts?

And he wants two minutes silence for CFC knockin' out MANUre! Whelan gives old codgers a bad name!

Has the demented critter filled the back of a penny stamp yet, outlining what Thatcher did for football?

Here is that BBC article at the head of the thread...

Margaret Thatcher: Football chairmen call for minute's silence

Premier League club chairmen Dave Whelan and Sir John Madejski want football to mark the death of Baroness Thatcher with a one-minute silence.

The former prime minister died in London on Monday, aged 87, after suffering a stroke.

The Premier League and Football League will not be asking clubs to mark Lady Thatcher's death at their upcoming fixtures.

"We owe Mrs Thatcher a minute's silence," Whelan told BBC Sport.

As well as Premier League and Football League games this weekend, the FA Cup semi-finals take place at Wembley, which come under the auspices of the Football Association. Whelan's Wigan meet Millwall on Saturday.

It is understood the Football Association has no plans at present to mark Lady Thatcher's death.

"It is not my decision, it is for the FA to decide, but I would be in favour of wearing an armband out of respect to Mrs Thatcher," Whelan said. "We have to say thank you very much for the services the former PM has given us."

And Reading chairman Madejski told BBC Radio 5 live: "We have got to appreciate that Margaret Thatcher was a world leader who did so much for this country. So much that she deserves a minute's silence.

"The funeral's going to take place at St Paul's attended by the Queen and Prince Philip so I think it would be a fitting tribute from the world of football to Margaret Thatcher, one of our greatest leaders."

However, Reading later said they were already planning to hold a minute's silence before Saturday's home fixture against Liverpool - to mark the anniversary of the Hillsborough disaster.

A club spokesman said: "With the game falling two days before the 24th anniversary of the tragedy, plans began last week for a fitting tribute to the 96 supporters who lost their lives.

"The Royals contacted Liverpool FC and spoke to the Premier League earlier today and they of course agreed it was absolutely correct to pay respect on such an occasion."

Lady Thatcher was Conservative prime minister from 1979 to 1990 and Whelan admitted he had huge admiration for her.

"Mrs Thatcher was a very, very special lady and a very special prime minister," he said.

"After Winston Churchill, we have probably had two or three really good PMs and she was definitely one of those. I only met her once and I just thought she was a fantastic lady, the country could do with another lady, another PM who can do what she did. We shall sadly miss her."

One-minute silences were not held in the Premier League when former Prime Ministers James Callaghan and Edward Heath died, although respects were paid after the death of the Queen Mother. It will be left to individual clubs to decide whether they want to pay tribute.

Whelan said he could not understand why large sections of the population, especially in the north of England, did not want to mark her death.

But Madejski, a high-profile donor to the Conservative Party in the past, said: "Obviously I can appreciate that perhaps some people won't pay attention to it [a minute's silence], which is sometimes the way at football, but she was such a colossus in terms of the world stage that she deserves that respect from the whole nation.

"No colossus like that strides the world's stage without disenfranchising people at some stage or another. However, the positive things that Margaret Thatcher achieved for our country speaks volumes and I think that outshines things that might not be considered so brilliant like the poll tax and so on."

Manchester United opted not to have a one-minute's silence prior to Monday's derby defeat by Manchester City and Whelan, who was travelling back from a holiday in Barbados at the time, said he disagreed with that view.

Margaret Thatcher's former sports minister, Richard Tracey, shared that view and told 5 live: "Frankly I think it's rather cheap that they decided not to show any sort of respect for her, because, to be honest, she did really deliver what football is today, particularly with the Taylor report, and the all-seater stadia.

"Football was in a bad way when she was prime minister, and we saw all the changes in her time, and they should pay tribute to that."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22078110
Ooh! That word "should" at the end. Tut-tut.

And Madejski, a Conservative Party donor, asking for Liverpool for a minute's silence is sheer foolhardiness when all the Liverpool fans want to do is celebrate. Imagine you were a Liverpool fan (I know. Force yourself.) Would you want to mark the Hillsborough disaster this year with a minute's silence or Ding Dong the Witch is Dead?

Prestwich_Blue said:
stonerblue said:
Whelan and Madjeski can fuck right off. If the thatcher lovers want to 'honour' the woman then they should do it at home.
It is the anniversary of the Hillsborough disaster as well of course, which Liverpool fans would not dare disrespect.

How about not disrespecting the 96 and Liverpool by having a T**tcher tribute at the same time? It cuts both ways.

Josh Blue said:
A classic bit of divide in rule by the Government. A classic bit of distraction as the economy starts to decline quicker.

I'm having a bit of difficulty imagining Thatcher popping her clogs as a distraction for the welfare cuts, but then again, she was a conviction politician.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.