A minutes silence for Maggie!

Matty said:
People run the gambit from the likes of Adolf Hitler at one end of the spectrum to Mother Theresa at the other.
Didn't we learn yesterday that she was in fact a self-serving witch sent straight from hell?

Matty said:
Santiago Street . said:
Matty said:
Where is the line drawn? What if Gary Glitter died tomorrow, and there was a minutes silence? Please don't answer "there would never be a minutes silence for him" as, if you do, you're missing the point! At some stage there comes a line over which a blanket "respect" is no longer acceptable, for some Thatcher will have crossed that line. They will see her as a selfish individual who actively sought out to destroy their life, by bankrupting their employer amongst other things.

I'm not claiming this is my viewpoint, I was only a child during Thatcher's time as PM, and was still in Secondary School when she resigned, so my feelings towards her aren't particularly strong one way or the other. However a great deal of people on my Grandmothers side of the family worked at Bradford Colliery and, whilst Thatcher had nothing to do with that closing (as it did so in the late 1960's) they felt very strongly about her handling of the miners strike in the 1980's and throughly despised her.

So in your world raping children is as bad as making unpopular ( to a small yet hysterically vocal minority) economic policy decisions is it ?

Sweet Jesus, did you actually read what I wrote, or just decided to make a sensationalist statement based on nothing I'd remotely stated or implied?

My usage of Gary Glitter was to demonstrate an extreme. People run the gambit from the likes of Adolf Hitler at one end of the spectrum to Mother Theresa at the other. My point was not eveyone deserves to be respected en masse simply becuase they were a well known figure, and died. Their actions when alive should dictate the amount of respect they are afforded when they die. Gary Glitter clearly should fall on the "no respect given" side of that line for the vast majority, in the same way as Ghandi should fall on the "respect paid" side of the line for most. Thatcher is one of those people who fall in the "grey area", some will respect her whereas others will hate her with a passion and afford her no respect whatsoever. So, no, I was not equating paedophillia with far right political actions. A sensible, intelligent human being could see that in an instance.

You're right, I withdraw that.

I'm not arguing that we should have a minutes silence for her just that if one were held it should be observed properly by those who disagreed with her policies. Walking out is fine, failure to remove headwear or to stand up is fine but to actively disrupt it is the act of a scumbag.

Referring to your "grey area" surely 99.9% of people fall within that. Should she be respected en masse ? You bet she should, she was more than just a well known public figure.

I do wonder why the hatred of her is quite so vitriolic. When Blair dies I doubt the hatred of him will be quite so visceral despite his Iraq war legacy.

In a nutshell though unless a man has committed terrible crimes anybody revelling in his death reveals themself to be a stupid, bitter, smallminded knob

Tried as hard as I could not to get involved, but have bitten - apologies.

Disagree with holding a minutes silence for her at football matches. She viewed football fans as lower than animals, tarred us all with the same brush, wanted us all to carry ID cards if we were to go to a match and then signed off on the Taylor Report amongst other things football related, let alone any of the other divisive, self & vested interest policies she applied to the nation as a whole.

So, no, football does not owe her a minutes silence. I would not condone disrupting it, however I would either turn my back or walk out.

And also agree re the post about it being a cunts trick to include Thatcher in the silence at for the 96 when Liverpool play Reading. What an utterly crass and abhorrent thing to do given the truth that has finally been acknowledged around the tragedy and the fact the cabinet actually discussed leaving Liverpool (as a city) to simply wither and die on the vine.

But no, she was a great woman obviously.

mcmanus said:
Haha. 'In before the commies on this board' wtf does not liking the good oil USA make you a communist.

Oh heard a 4 year old killed another kid today with your nutty gun laws.

If the other kid had a gun he would have been able to defend himself.

Minute’s silence for Lady Thatcher at football games would turn to applause and end in rapturous cheers. She made it plain – not to be with her was to be against her, and too many now could not separate being respectful of the dead from implied agreement with others’ favourable view of her policies. It's one thing to go somewhere to observe a silence, quite another to try and force it on others who regard her as an enemy, just now a dead one.

It's not about respect if the minute's silence seems even remotely like an endorsement of her career and policies, it's about politics.

strongbowholic said:

Disagree with holding a minutes silence for her at football matches. She viewed football fans as lower than animals, tarred us all with the same brush, wanted us all to carry ID cards if we were to go to a match and then signed off on the Taylor Report amongst other things football related, let alone any of the other divisive, self & vested interest policies she applied to the nation as a whole.

So, no, football does not owe her a minutes silence. I would not condone disrupting it, however I would either turn my back or walk out.

And also agree re the post about it being a ***** trick to include Thatcher in the silence at for the 96 when Liverpool play Reading. What an utterly crass and abhorrent thing to do given the truth that has finally been acknowledged around the tragedy and the fact the cabinet actually discussed leaving Liverpool (as a city) to simply wither and die on the vine.

Great post.

Santiago Street . said:
Matty said:
Santiago Street . said:
So in your world raping children is as bad as making unpopular ( to a small yet hysterically vocal minority) economic policy decisions is it ?

Sweet Jesus, did you actually read what I wrote, or just decided to make a sensationalist statement based on nothing I'd remotely stated or implied?

My usage of Gary Glitter was to demonstrate an extreme. People run the gambit from the likes of Adolf Hitler at one end of the spectrum to Mother Theresa at the other. My point was not eveyone deserves to be respected en masse simply becuase they were a well known figure, and died. Their actions when alive should dictate the amount of respect they are afforded when they die. Gary Glitter clearly should fall on the "no respect given" side of that line for the vast majority, in the same way as Ghandi should fall on the "respect paid" side of the line for most. Thatcher is one of those people who fall in the "grey area", some will respect her whereas others will hate her with a passion and afford her no respect whatsoever. So, no, I was not equating paedophillia with far right political actions. A sensible, intelligent human being could see that in an instance.

You're right, I withdraw that.

I'm not arguing that we should have a minutes silence for her just that if one were held it should be observed properly by those who disagreed with her policies. Walking out is fine, failure to remove headwear or to stand up is fine but to actively disrupt it is the act of a scumbag.

Referring to your "grey area" surely 99.9% of people fall within that. Should she be respected en masse ? You bet she should, she was more than just a well known public figure.

I do wonder why the hatred of her is quite so vitriolic. When Blair dies I doubt the hatred of him will be quite so visceral despite his Iraq war legacy.

In a nutshell though unless a man has committed terrible crimes anybody revelling in his death reveals themself to be a stupid, bitter, smallminded knob
Keep 'em coming. Top comedy.

mcmanus said:
strongbowholic said:

And also agree re the post about it being a ***** trick to include Thatcher in the silence at for the 96 when Liverpool play Reading. What an utterly crass and abhorrent thing to do given the truth that has finally been acknowledged around the tragedy and the fact the cabinet actually discussed leaving Liverpool (as a city) to simply wither and die on the vine.

Great post.

It is a great post. If they try and roll out this joint minute's silence between the 96 and Thatcher, then a disruption of the minute's silence should be carried out - but ONLY with the families of the dead and Justice 96's permission, to express the total disgust of their vile attempt to gain some 'respect' for the witch, whilst holding a gun against the heads of those present.

I'd be interested to hear what scousers think.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.