A question on Georgi Kinkladze

He may very well have been one of the best players we have ever had but he probably couldn't do the miles in a Pep team, it doesn't take anything away from his ability and class it's just a different set up now.
this... but his flair, skill, balance and vision were without peer - the rest of the team just used to give the ball to him and expect him to do it on his own every time instead of overlapping or running off the ball to take up different attacking options - he often had to beat four or five men cos there was no other fucker to pass to!

He's my favourite ever City player, my hero growing up but he wouldn't get anywhere near the side now and i'm glad he wouldn't.

Football now is very robotic, a player like him in today's game would have all the genius taken out of him for the benefit of the team, no more so than Pep's team.

He’d be a benchwarmer, anyone that thinks he’s not at the level of Grealish/Doku/Bobb would be mental!

Sublime talent in his day amongst our team of journeymen, an also ran for Pep’s fourmidables!

By the time Joe brought Gio back it was too late. We were as good as down.

I had Willie Donnachie going on on why he wasnt playing after the Boro defeat ( he said he looked uninterested against Port Vale poor in training ) that maybe have been the case but as I pointed out he shouldn't be asked to hug the touchline and track the right back and he was better than Pollock and the Whitley`s weather he trained properly or not anyways he said at the end of the conversation he would be starting against QPR and said lets see how he does , he scored after32 seconds

I had Willie Donnachie going on on why he wasnt playing after the Boro defeat ( he said he looked uninterested against Port Vale poor in training ) that maybe have been the case but as I pointed out he shouldn't be asked to hug the touchline and track the right back and he was better than Pollock and the Whitley`s weather he trained properly or not anyways he said at the end of the conversation he would be starting against QPR and said lets see how he does , he scored after32 seconds
And Jamie Pollock scored the best own goal I've ever seen.

He wouldn't fit in the current team but is still my favourite city player ever. Absolute legend.

His style of play was unique and mesmerising. Light years ahead of the team he was playing in and unfortunately his career never fulfilled it's full potential, as has happened with hundreds of footballers over the years.

Based on ability alone, I don't think he'd be out of place in our current squad. For anyone doubting Kinkladze, I suggest you go back and rewatch the highlights of the 3-3 draw with Newcastle (managed by Keegan) at Maine Road. There was a superb line in the commentary about Kinkladze leaving a trail of international footballers in his wake. And he did that on a regular basis.

Raheem Sterling had an amazing career at City, but I'm not having for a moment that he's a better technical player than Kinkladze was. And as for the argument about the Pep style of play, it's an interesting point, but he affords freedom to players with exceptional dribbling ability and I've not seen anyone beat a defender as Kinkladze did.

Unfortunately Kinkladze never hit the heights to be considered a great and he clearly has to take responsibility in that, although his loyalty to City should always be commended. But on ability, he was special.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.