A question on Georgi Kinkladze

Absolutely loved Gio in his first season with us, when he got the ball the crowd stood up in anticipation of what was coming and that was rare thing during the 95/96 season. He was unplayable at times and people often forgot how young he was when he arrived in a new country, the expectations on him immediately were immense and even more so after we'd gone down. Ball and Lee should have played him down rather than big him up to take some pressure off the lad but they also pinned their hopes on him as the season went on.

I think the 95/96 Kinkladze would flourish in Pep's team, they would have nurtured him, imagine 'Kinky' with Bernardo Silva's tenacity in the middle of the park and Rodri backing him up !!

Looking back I wish he'd had left after that first season and not tried to stay and help paddle in an already sinking ship but he has left some magical memories like the Southampton goal, and here's the shirt he scored that goal against The Saints in, if you look closer you can see where the Maine Road laundry ladies had simply repaired the front between the Umbro and crest, after it was torn in a previous fixture.

gio1.jpggio2.jpggio3.jpggio4.jpg

No worries. I seem to remember that you thought he was better than David Silva, which makes me feel as though you aren’t objective on this subject.

At dribbling he was , Silva was better at keeping the ball and passing it backwards to whoever was playing right or left back

At dribbling he was , Silva was better at keeping the ball and passing it backwards to whoever was playing right or left back
He wasn’t fit to clean Silvia’s boots mate. Like every City fan from that time I loved him.
Nowhere near good enough to play in this squad, he wasn’t on the same level as Ali b mate never mind David.

Glad my memory still works and that others can now see your thoughts. I’ll leave it to others to say whether they agree with you or not.

Do you not think that was because of the dross surrounding him?
It probably didn't help.

Exactamundo. Gio was the best dribbler at pace I’ve seen apart from Messi.
Would easily make the current squad and probably team.
The nonsense about work rate is……nonsense
His poor work rate was down to his fitness. He'd go on a mazy run and then go missing for 5 minutes while he recovered.

If he'd been motivated/encouraged to work on his fitness, who know?

He wasn’t fit to clean Silvia’s boots mate. Like every City fan from that time I loved him.
Nowhere near good enough to play in this squad, he wasn’t on the same level as Ali b mate never mind David.
Ali B's debut game.....I was awestruck.

Personally I think he would get in today's squad as all players from previous eras would be fitter, stronger and faster with all the improvements in player welfare and the way they're looked after. He had a great left foot and was a great dribbler like David Silva....much better than let's say Nunes, Gomes and maybe Doku in our current squad. By some logic then the likes of Bell, Tueart, Kidd, Lake, Bernabia, Deyna wouldn't get in either!
No doubt he would improve the attributes you mention, but none of those help with his can't be arsed attitude even against lower league players

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.