A question on Georgi Kinkladze

Some mixed views I can see. He was my favourite non-Arsenal player back in the day, just totally unpredictable and with a low centre of gravity. But agree it is hard to compare past players with today, albeit the risk is always of recency bias (as an example a lot of Gunners are cock-a-hoop about our current side but the reality is maybe 2 maximum of the current lot might get into the Invincibles XI so we have a heck of a long way to go to get a team of that level!).

Some mixed views I can see. He was my favourite non-Arsenal player back in the day, just totally unpredictable and with a low centre of gravity. But agree it is hard to compare past players with today, albeit the risk is always of recency bias (as an example a lot of Gunners are cock-a-hoop about our current side but the reality is maybe 2 maximum of the current lot might get into the Invincibles XI so we have a heck of a long way to go to get a team of that level!).
It is very difficult to judge compared to the present day. Liam Brady was my favourite Arsenal player but he wasn't the quickest so it is impossible to judge. He was world class in the era he played in though.

He was like Adel Taraabt. A total maverick and a beacon of hope in a sea of shitness.

Both won their teams about 3 games on their own, whilst their lack of work rate and tactical discipline cost their teams far more games.

He may very well have been one of the best players we have ever had but he probably couldn't do the miles in a Pep team, it doesn't take anything away from his ability and class it's just a different set up now.

Kinkys big mistake was signing for us in the 1st place under the car crash leadership of Lee and Ball.
At the stage of his development, Kinky needed to be working in a stable environment under a decent coach who would have nurtured him to become the player he deserved to be.
Agreed we were probably bad for each other. Although at the time as a 14 year old, he was god and the only thing I had in response to the constant taunts in School.

He may very well have been one of the best players we have ever had but he probably couldn't do the miles in a Pep team, it doesn't take anything away from his ability and class it's just a different set up now.
As much as I have fantastic memories of him, I do wonder if he just stood out because he was miles better than the dross we were watching week after week?

He was 25 when he left for Ajax and played only 12 games in 2 seasons for them. He retired at age 32 having only played 130 games in his last 6 seasons with nearly 2/3 for Derby.

I remember reading that we were back in for him whilst he was at Derby, as he’d fallen out big time with Colin Todd. That would have been under Keegan with Bernarbia and Berkowicz, which might have been interesting, to say the least.
EDIT: Todd got sacked before it could happen, sadly.

As much as I have fantastic memories of him, I do wonder if he just stood out because he was miles better than the dross we were watching week after week?

He was 25 when he left for Ajax and played only 12 games in 2 seasons for them. He retired at age 32 having only played 130 games in his last 6 seasons with nearly 2/3 for Derby.

I remember reading that we were back in for him whilst he was at Derby, as he’d fallen out big time with Colin Todd. That would have been under Keegan with Bernarbia and Berkowicz, which might have been interesting, to say the least.

You might have a point mate, if my memory serves me right and it rarely does these days didn't Ajax try to force him into a left wing position rather than his very much free roaming role?

His main adversary was food by the looks of it, but from what I remember he was as good as any of the fancy Dan players that I have ever seen. (Blue tinted glasses notwithstanding)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.