A sense of perspective

Not sure he's in a position to. He picked that team, messing about with the CB pairing. He's as much to blame as the players. And he'll know that. He has these sporadic brainfart games.
They were all off it,including pep, stones started 12 games ,and pep plays him in a cup final t he left hand side was a joke, grealish should have been on after twenty minutes.

That goal looked good as our defence/midfield went awol.
It was a well worked goal, on a quick break. We play every game high up the pitch, especially the full backs, so sometimes we are bound to be caught. They set out to play us that way, perhaps after a couple of scares he should have adjusted something.

Anyone who watches us regularly will realise that is the way Pep wants it.

The lineup was weird. On the one hand showing them far too much respect with picking Kovacic but then at the same time being complacent by picking our third & fourth choice CBs.
The bit about 3rd and 4th choice CB's is quite harsh, they've both played plenty this season as first choice when others haven't been available, and done good jobs, the worry with John Stones is his injuries, but when fit he'd be my number 1 choice, and I prefer Nathan Ake at LB than CB, but he's not as attacking as Gvardiol, and is a more than capable CB.

It was a well worked goal, on a quick break. We play every game high up the pitch, especially the full backs, so sometimes we are bound to be caught. They set out to play us that way, perhaps after a couple of scares he should have adjusted something.

Anyone who watches us regularly will realise that is the way Pep wants it.

The bit about 3rd and 4th choice CB's is quite harsh, they've both played plenty this season as first choice when others haven't been available, and done good jobs, the worry with John Stones is his injuries, but when fit he'd be my number 1 choice, and I prefer Nathan Ake at LB than CB, but he's not as attacking as Gvardiol, and is a more than capable CB.

If it had been a league game there is no doubt Akanji & Dias would have started. Which tells me Pep was complacent.

The only thing I can think is Pep thought Stones and Ake would be better at heading crosses clear, he hinted at it in the preview, but Stones does take a few matches to get going. Ruben plus one other for me.

Let's concentrate on the positive. We have won an unprecedented 4 League Titles in a row. It's the most extraordinary achievement in English football history. It puts to bed and shuts down any argument about who is the greatest English team ever. It will not happen again in our lifetimes. It means that we can walk into any bar, in any place in the world and if a United, Liverpool or Arsenal fan is sat on the main bar seat holding court and telling tales of past glories that they have to vacate that seat and sit at our feet (and smell any farts that we deign necessary to expel) as we tell illustrious tales of our great clubs incredible history and the fans, players, managers, staff and events that make supporting Manchester City the greatest experience on planet earth.

Stones wasn't Pep's first choice in the final league games, he barely played. Maybe because he was so poor vs Chelsea at Wembley that Dias had to replace him at half-time. (Not sure, but maybe it was Stones who played Garnacho onside yesterday.)

Ake looked a bit rusty. Which was far from optimal against quick forwards. It became clear yesterday why Akanji and Dias were the preferred CB pair, even though they weren't at their very best recently.

Pep knows the importance of squad harmony. Maybe he underestimated United. That's why he didn't start with our very best team thinking we could get away with giving minutes to players who are not in top form. That was the mistake.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.