A striker in January

LoveCity said:
There are Champions League strikers who could become available next summer or promising strikers who clubs are reluctant to let go of right now (like Paco Alcacer who has the right skill set for a team like City).

A better fit than Lacazette in your opinion?

Charlie Austin for me. Not every striker can or needs to be a 90,000 a week player. He has a great work-rate and would be an ideal 3rd or 4th striker where he probably wouldn't mind being a sub when Aguero is healthy again. I see him as a true replacement for Negrado (though not as technically gifted).

FantasyIreland said:
LoveCity said:
There are Champions League strikers who could become available next summer or promising strikers who clubs are reluctant to let go of right now (like Paco Alcacer who has the right skill set for a team like City).

I'm not sure, I watch Liga a lot more than French football so have seen Alcacer much more. Lacazette has great stats and if he's the real deal maybe we could go for him, but I think Alcacer is going to be the next great Spanish striker after Villa and (pre-breakdown) Torres. He's just had a goal drought but is only 21 and has great ability.

Every time Ive watched Lacazette I've been impressed, wouldn't say no to him but like someone said previously, can't have all top level or high wage commanding players so if we're desperate why not someone like Charlie Austin or Steven Fletcher,........

I really want Bale though.

Lyon's last talented striker who went for big money was Karim Benzema. Whether you rate Lacazette in that bracket is open to debate.

Ray78 said:
Lyon's last talented striker who went for big money was Karim Benzema. Whether you rate Lacazette in that bracket is open to debate.

Lacazette is the first player in France since the late 70's to score 15 goals in the opening 18 games, in fact he has 17 in 19 now going into the winter break with only Ronaldo scoring more throughout the top leagues in Europe.

Impressive stuff indeed.

LoveCity said:
FantasyIreland said:
LoveCity said:

I'm not sure, I watch Liga a lot more than French football so have seen Alcacer much more. Lacazette has great stats and if he's the real deal maybe we could go for him, but I think Alcacer is going to be the next great Spanish striker after Villa and (pre-breakdown) Torres. He's just had a goal drought but is only 21 and has great ability.
Alcacer actually reminds me a lot of Roberto Soldado. The good one, not the imposter that now plays for Spurs, I don't recognize that guy. But the Valecia Soldado looks a whole tot like Paco. Similar movement, calmness in front of goal, clinical one time volleys, and the signature step back for a cut back cross from the winger. Lacazzete on the other hand reminds me more of Sanchez at Udinese. A confident dribbler who likes taking defenders on (sometimes too much). He is on a purple patch right now, and is scoring at will, that scoring proficiency would probably dip a bit when he moves up, but his skill will make up for it. Paco is a pure finisher, but seeing what happened to Soldado, I'm more inclined to lean towards Lacazzete, the guy who's talent is mostly internal, I.e not greatly dependent on what teammates are doing. Sure on a top team, he'd have to reduce some of that dribbling, and Sanchez did when he went to Barca. But in the wrong system, Paco could easily become the imposter Soldado.

Both look promising, but I'd lean towards the dribbler.

sam-caddick said:
If there is a striker in France we should be looking at then it's Lacazette, he is only 23 and scored two more goals today in a 5-0 away win against Bordeaux taking his tally to 17 league goals in 19 league games, add the 4 assists an you have him contributing to 21 league goals this season.

Don't get me wrong Cavani is a top player but I think if you want to get the best out of him you have to make him the main man and build a team around him.

I am also not convinced he would work well in a possession based team, at Napoli he was lethal because the counter attacking tactic they deployed really got the best out of him as a player and maybe this is another reason why he is struggling at PSG?!...

This ^^^

Watch L'OL quite a lot and this is a player that we should be watching closely

Wife and bro in law are gig L'OL followers and would be gutted to lose him.... my lad watched the Bordeaux game and was saying just what the OP said

LoveCity said:
Could we get over Benteke please... he is an extremely ordinary striker performing well in a weak team. The like of which we've seen a million times (Michu). He can't pass and is technically limited. He is strong and has a good shot, but Bluemoon savages Dzeko when moves break down because of him and he is a much better player than Benteke with experience in big situations. Put Benteke in our regular situation of playing in tight spaces with quick passing needed and he'd be infuriating.

Now Bony has similar flaws but is better and if we're going to take one of these "main man in weak team" punts on a striker, he would be a better choice. With Bony going to AFCON and us looking like we may successfully grind our way through this injury crisis, perhaps it'll be best to just hold back and wait to see what is available next summer. There are Champions League strikers who could become available next summer or promising strikers who clubs are reluctant to let go of right now (like Paco Alcacer who has the right skill set for a team like City).

Plus he's an ugly ****

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.