Adam Johnson guilty - 6 year sentence

Because of his fame , he has been made an example of. I didn't know the law worked that way. Certainly doesn't if you are a Member of Parliament.

Ridiculous sentance , especially considering a female last year was given a 2 year suspended sentance for grooming and having sex with a minor.,This was later changed to 2 years in jail, on appeal.
It doesnt work that way. The fame part is the aggravating feature that made the offence possible and was the vehicle he used to achieve his intentions, ie she was starstruck and idolised him because of who he was. He abused that. You know this anyway

Yes but there's a starting point and the judge takes aggravating/mitigating factors into account. Pleading guilty is one mitigating factor of course but there is a floor below which they shouldn't go even if there are no aggravating factors.

So you are saying even if pleased guilty from the outset he would have got 4?

So i'm right then and they're not a deterrent at all.
Nope. If the crime rate was higher without the deterrent then it works. If you take corporal punishment in Singapore, canings in 2007 were just under 6,500, in 2012 that figure was down to 2,500, I am not sure what they are currently although those figures would suggest corporal punishment works there. I am in favour of corporal and capital punishment as well as longer prison sentences.

So you are saying even if pleased guilty from the outset he would have got 4?

He didn't plead guilty to the sexual activity charge of which he was convicted, though, and that was the charge that carried the heavier sentence.

He did plead guilty to the grooming, for which the sentencing range in the guidelines is stated to be betwen 1 and 2.5 years. However, he pleaded guilty so late (right before trial) that the judge said it would justify only a 10% reduction.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.